collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Well, I'm with you! - Hank Aaron's response to Craig Melvin's assertion that given his incredible baseball career numbers and accolades, which included 25 All-Star selections, there is a strong case that Aaron is the greatest player of all time - https://www.today.com/news/hank-aaron-shared-how-he-wanted-be-remembered-2020-today-t206658

Author Topic: holy modal rounders  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Roscoe

holy modal rounders
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:57:32 AM »
hi. just got the documentary video about the HMR's. its pretty funny. those guys are out there. any body else seen it?
roscoe

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
Re: holy modal rounders
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »

I've seen it. If you're a fan of the Rounders (which I've been since I first heard them in the '60's) it's definitely a "must see". I actually wore out their first album, had to replace it and as that one was wearing out, the CD re-issue emerged and I often listen to that.

It does, however, reaffirm my opinion that Peter Stampfel *is* the Holy Modal Rounders and that we would have never heard of Steve Weber if it weren't for his association with Stampfel.
  I also couldn't help but form the opinion that Weber has, without a doubt, held them back.

The '60's were a time of tolerance and acceptance. However, that doesn't mean that all behavior is either tolerable or acceptable and Weber certainly has gone far, to prove that point.

Stampfel is one of my all-time favorite "out there" musicians.

As critic, Robert Chrsitgau said of the Greenwich Village Folk community:  "Next to Bob Dylan, Stampfel is the closest thing to a genius that scene produced."

Offline Roscoe

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:28:31 PM »
ya man. i got that first album and i couldnt believe my ears. their lyrics for black eyed susie were wild. if the record moguls had been paying any attention i dont think that record would have ever come out. 40 plus years later and i still laugh when i hear it.
roscoe

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:34:30 PM »
Hi all,
I watched the documentary about the "Holy Modal Rounders", "Bound To Lose" last night, and found it profoundly sad.  You really feel for Peter Stampfel, being put in the position of trying to depend on someone as utterly undependable as Steve Weber.  Peter seems like a really nice guy, and I have never seen more pained smiles than you see on his face at various points in the movie.  The movie is cautionary in a way--watch out who you get hooked up with, whether it's making music or making your way through life!
All best,
Johnm 

Offline amusia

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »
HI all, I'm a friend of Peter Stampfel, and have seen the movie  -  I even reviewed it for a British magazine, Blue Navigator.  It has good things, but I agree it's sort of sad - by the end Steve has given up on the reunion and the movie.  You can't mention the movie to him to this day!  Peter's fine.  If anyone wants to see the review, just ask.  Thanks, (new member) Charlie Messing

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 06:50:01 AM »
Welcome to WC, Charlie!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »
I'm having a random rounders resurgence, the latest of many. How hip were they to be into all that stuff in the 60s and deliver it to the unsuspecting public with such natural panache? <- rhetorical question

I find myself singing their irreverent versions of the songs, complete with stupid voices, in the shower. Faves are Moving Day, Bully of The Town, & Flop Eared Mule, mule, mule, mule, mule - Flop eared, flop eared, flop eared mule - Mule, mule, mule, mule... etc

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »
Love them Rounders!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:39:17 AM »

"Got my Psychedelic socks in my psychedelic shoes. Believe to my soul I got the psychedelic Blues", From the Rounders version of "Hesitation Blues" (Which, I'm sure, we all play a version of).

First recorded use of the word "Psychedelic"? It was '63, so, in addition to all their other contributions they probably have the distinction of the first recorded musical reference to one of the most significant "buzz words" of the '60's.

Rounders Rule!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 09:10:51 AM »
Yes Mike I really like that version of Hesitation Blues, the form without the initial A minor, all I-IV-V, goes down well at a jam. It's one of those tunes that takes on a life of its own when you drag it out of the closet kicking and screaming.

Is the Rounders' version based on Sam Collins' do you suppose? It's all I have in my collection that comes close.

David Lindley & Wally Ingram do an interesting version on Twango Bango III BTW. Lindleyfied to the max, Weissenborn, banjo, Caribbean percussion grooves.

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »

The Rounders version is from Charlie Poole, who called his version, "If The River Was Whiskey".

It's note for note and word for word. Up until the part about drugs ;D

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 07:12:53 PM »
Right, of course, I'd forgotten that one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal