collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hundreds of 'race' singers have flooded the market with what is generally regarded as the worst contribution to the cause of good music ever inflicted on the public. The lyrics of a great many of these 'blues' are worse than the lowest sort of doggerel - Talking Machine Journal, February 1924, plucked from Stephen Calt's Barrelhouse Words

Author Topic: Beaver Slide Rag - Peg Leg Howell & Eddie Anthony  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
Beaver Slide Rag - Peg Leg Howell & Eddie Anthony
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »
Peg Leg Howell & Eddie Anthony's "Beaver Slide Rag" -- what key do you think this is in? I can't figure out whether they are in B or in C.  Fiddle is playing entirely in closed position, I'm not hearing any open strings that would give me a clue.  Maybe some of you guitar players can tell from the guitar part??  I am trying to transcribe the fiddle part and would love to have it be in the correct key!  They seem like they are somewhere in between -- either playing in C tuned a little flat, or in B tuned a bit sharp.  Or the speed of the recording machine or record player could be off too.
Do the Mister Eddie!!

Suzy Thompson

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Beaver Slide Rag - Peg Leg Howell & Eddie Anthony
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:24:41 PM »
Hi Suzy,

Sure sounds like he's playing out of C position for the guitar part to me. Great tune!

Andrew

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 02:12:44 PM »
Actually, listening to this again, the guitar I hear best is tuned to spanish, capo'd high.  I'm on the fence as to whether there might be a second guitar playing C figures, although that was my first impression when listening to the tune.  Need to listen on a better system...

When Eddie Anthony fiddles, it sounds to me like he plays entirely out of 2nd position, with his index finger across the A & E strings of the fiddle, holding down the C & G notes and riffing from there...  he could do that in any key, as you point out, Suzy.

Offline eric

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »
Suzy,

If you figure out the right key, let us know.  I love this tune, and I'm just getting back into fiddle.

And, if anyone figures out how to, uh,  "Do the Mr. Eddie...," keep us posted.
--
Eric

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:25:11 PM »
Actually, listening to this again, the guitar I hear best is tuned to spanish, capo'd high.  I'm on the fence as to whether there might be a second guitar playing C figures, although that was my first impression when listening to the tune.  Need to listen on a better system...

When Eddie Anthony fiddles, it sounds to me like he plays entirely out of 2nd position, with his index finger across the A & E strings of the fiddle, holding down the C & G notes and riffing from there...  he could do that in any key, as you point out, Suzy.

Well, I'd trust frankie's ears before mine any day. ;) Could be, Frank. When I was listening I thought there was some weird higher resonance for what seemed straight C position. I'd have to check the notes to see what they say about 2 guitars. I was hearing C7's and once or twice a suspended 4th that made me think, ah, gotta be C.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:08:17 PM »
Hi all,
I believe Henry Williams is playing out of C in standard tuning and Peg Leg is capoed up and playing out of Spanish.  They used this set-up on several tunes.  I can hear the guitar out of C right at the beginning of the tune and as they get into it you can hear the Spanish turn-arounds.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: Peg Leg Howell 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal