collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm a stranger here, just come in on this train. I'm a stranger here, come in on this train. I want some responsible young man, tell me that woman's name - J. T. Adams with Shirley Griffith, "Blind Lemon's Blues"

Author Topic: New (New or Old) Guitars  (Read 58530 times)

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: New (New or Old) Guitars
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2005, 03:39:43 PM »
Hi all:

In my continuing battle with Mid-life Crisis I have lost again. I just recieved my recently purchased 1933 black Gibson L-00 with firestripe pickguard.

The action is very good with some saddle to come down. The body has no cracks at all, but there are numerous small scratches and pick-scrapings, down to the wood in spots; well used.

The neck has a pronounced V-shape and is very comfortable. The sound is great, very bassy for such a small guitar.

I'll post a picture in a bit.

Alex

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2005, 07:59:26 PM »
Cool!  8)  You lucky dog!

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2005, 05:00:19 PM »
...very nice guitar!  ...14 fret?  ...what are any indicators that date it to '33?  ...just curious, 'cause I understand they're hard to date... can't wait for photos...

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2005, 09:04:01 AM »
Hey Onewent:

Yeah, it's got 14 frets.

The black body colour was only 1932-33 (a few in '34). The peghead has just Gibson, not The Gibson which puts it post 1932. The back becomes bound in 1937 (mine isn't).

All this puts it 1933-1936, but black was a rare colour after 1933.

I've attached a photo, which is pretty low fidelity due to 125 limit.

Alex

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2005, 09:13:10 AM »
Wow, great guitar.  Forgive me if this is question reveals my ignorance, but what is the nut made of?

tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2005, 12:12:19 PM »
Looks great Alex!

Tom, it looks like an ebony nut.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2005, 05:14:26 PM »
...nice lookin' blues machine ya got there!   ...the nut should be ebony ...mine's just like yours except:  12 fret, white pickguard and u-shaped neck ... if I could figure out how to do it I'd post a photo... ::)  Still original bar-frets?   Mine are, but are severely notched from string wear and must decide to replace w/ original type bar or more modern 't' type...

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2005, 09:20:35 PM »
Howdy:

Your bar frets (an the 12 frets free) date yours older than mine (or do you have a L-0?).

I have T frets which are very badly worn (first three) and need to be replaced.

Buzz, you've got to have a crack at this one. You'll never be the same!

I'd rather keep you and mistreat you myself,
Alex

dabluz

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2005, 06:28:10 AM »
here are a couple of recent new additions, on the left ia a 1928 washburn model 1915 and on the left is the martin "ian anderson" #28 of 87 8)

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2005, 11:56:18 PM »
Hey dabluz:

Tell me about the Ian Anderson, if you would be so kind. Looks cool.

Alex

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2005, 12:41:20 PM »
Alex,
Man do I want to play your new little black Gibson! 8)
Just received the 1900's NY School parlor, exact name of mfr unknown, from todd Cambio. Plays great, all work done by Todd. Are you bringing these new/old guitars to PT?
Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

dabluz

« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2005, 08:07:55 AM »
pyrochlore

sorry for not responding sooner. i've been busy and not checking in. the ianderson is a limited edition model from martin. one intersting note about the guitar is that it comes with interchageable saddles to convert to nylon string. it plays very nicely and has a decent sound, but to soon to tell what it really could sound like as i haven't played it long enough to open the top up. probably won't as i mainly purchased for collection. i have a steve miller, a eric clapton belezza nero and trying to get an elizabeth cotton model to complete this little set of martin blues guitars.

i would like to share a new addition which is a copy of the 1928 model 1915 shown above. a friend of mine who is an engineer and an amatuer luthier like myself just collaborated on and reverse engineered copy of the the 1928. right down to the .090 top (pretty thin). and ladder bracing. very very detailed exact copy. it is off the hook, came out really cool. unbelievable sound.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2005, 08:39:15 AM »
Congratulations Dabluz, beautiful looking guitar.  Is that a quilted maple body?

How long have you been buidling?

cheers,
slack

dabluz

« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2005, 10:45:47 AM »
thank you slack, i have been messing around quite awhile. i mainley repair guitars as a hobby, my friend needs most of the credit as he was primarily responsible in this collaboration. he is excellant. the wood is african curly/quilted mohagany. off the hook isn't it. thats a natural finish on it.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2005, 02:25:54 PM »
Here's my Stella Hawaiian, recently back from the luthier's, where a bunch of loose joints and braces were reglued and an old amateur neck repair was corrected.  Spruce top, birch back and sides.  I guess I'll spend those hot summer nights trying to sound like Jim and Bob, the Genial Hawaiians.v

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal