collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hersal Thomas was (one of) the finest guys I ever knew... We came up together, in Chicago... He taught me everything I know... He was the master of all pianists in those days... King of the boogie woogie... These rocks the way he would play 'em... Really sad he didn't live... Today he would be king... He knew everything, this boy from Texas... O.K Hersal this is for you, wherever you are - Dan Burley, Hersal's Rocks

Author Topic: New (New or Old) Guitars  (Read 58529 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: New (New or Old) Guitars
« Reply #225 on: February 17, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
Howdy:

A couple of years ago I bought a 1934 National Trojan, wood-bodied resonator. After some substantial shipping damage, I yesterday recieved it back in tip top shape after a neck reset, new cone etc.

I'm very happy. The wood mutes somewhat the ash can edge of a metal resonator. The guitar plays really well, nice V-neck, great intonation. And very loud.

Also recently aquired a Cromwell G-2 (KG-14 clone), a '49 Gibson LG-1, a great sounding May Bell and a few other Parlour guitars.

I'm sure enjoying my mid-life crisis!!

Alex

I wish I could afford a mid-life crisis like that!  :D

How are the neck profiles and nut widths of the different guitars, if you don't mind me asking? I've been lusting after a LG-1 but I'm not sure the necks would work for me.

Sound samples and pictures are usually also demanded after such announcements.  :)

Anyway congratulations!

Cheers

Pan

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #226 on: February 17, 2011, 11:36:37 AM »
I love Trojans, I've had three go through my hands in the past few years and they were all great.  You're correct about the sound, more of a mellowed-out trash can sound.  I also like the wood bodied Dobros for the same reason.  Ditto on Pan's demand..Tom

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »
Interesting, so will you be bringing anything with you or have you lined up a loan guitar for our great event next month?
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2011, 01:46:01 AM »
Interesting, so will you be bringing anything with you or have you lined up a loan guitar for our great event next month?
Next month? It's not until April Richard. I hope you're still taking your tablets.  ;D

I'd like to see the Cromwell, Alex. If you bring it, I can try and encourage rick218 to bring his Carson Robison, which is another KG-14 with a different name on the headstock. We could then do a comparison.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2011, 01:54:51 PM »
If I gave 'em some of my tablets they'd probably mate and we could all have one..

Offline bob long

• Bob Long
Re:National Trojan
« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2011, 04:35:08 AM »
Last November I bought a 1934 National Trojan guitar. It was in good condition for its age, at least in the sense that it had not been modified or worked upon and was therefore still "all original". The problem with it was that it was unplayable; the neck had warped to the extent that the action at the twelth fret was about 12mm.

So what was needed was a neck re-set, an operation involving removal of the neck from the body, straightening it and replacing it at a slightly different angle. Also, the tuners needed some repairs and the frets needed to be replaced.

It has taken me a while to do it but the work is finished now and I'm enjoying playing it. The guitar is now "all original" except for new frets, a new saddle and a new decal on the headstock. I've put some "before", "during" and "after" photos on Flickr and here's the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/boblong/sets/72157627097096214

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2011, 10:46:38 AM »
Nice Bob!

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2011, 11:35:24 AM »
that looks like a very satisfying project!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #233 on: July 04, 2011, 02:00:15 AM »
Well done, Bob! Nice job.

That slight dome on top of the headstock is reminiscent of some earlier Harmony instruments (I have seen it on guitars and a tiple).
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #234 on: July 04, 2011, 05:43:33 AM »
What a great guitar Bob, you did good!
I was surprised to see a regular dovetail neck joint as opposed to a neck stick, always surprises in these old ones.

Joe

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #235 on: July 07, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
Well done, looks nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal