collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Willis Theatre! that's the only picture show in town - if you missed a picture show 50 years ago - you can see it at the Willis theatre... Right now showing Rudolph Valentino, The Lost World - Detroit Count, Hasting St. Opera

Author Topic: Remembering Blues Poet Raymond R. Patterson  (Read 2586 times)

Offline thecountryblues

• You ain't shit unless you can make 'em dance
    • www.thecountryblues.com
Remembering Blues Poet Raymond R. Patterson
« on: August 27, 2009, 04:17:23 PM »
Does anyone remember the former City University of New York professor, Harlem resident and blues author?
Some years ago he read his poems for me as part of a radio documentary on the Mississippi Delta blues which I had produced.
James Earl Jones, who lives up the street from me and is a good neighbor, read the poem. This was one of the greatest moments of my life.

Child's Blues

I could have been a preacher
But I ain't jackleg

I could have been a lawyer
But I just can't beg

I could have been a doctor
But I hurt my thumb

I could have been a teacher
But i ain't that dumb

I ain't that dumb, I ain't
That dumb
I could have been a teacher
But I ain't that dumb

If you want to hear this segment of the documentary "I wish I was in heaven, sitting down", you can hear the Podcast for free on my website
www.thecountryblues.com go to the Podcast link.

James Earl Jones read it wonderfully and Raymond R. Patterson should not be forgotten by the blues community.

FM
(no, not Frequency Modulation- Frank Matheis)

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Remembering Blues Poet Raymond R. Patterson
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 02:52:05 AM »
Does anyone remember the former City University of New York professor, Harlem resident and blues author?
This name has been bugging me and I now know why. On my bookshelves I have  a small volume published in 1962 by The Hand And Flower Press entitled "Beyond The Blues: New Poems By American Negroes" (selected by Rosey E. Pool). There are four examples of Patterson's poetry in that. I've owned this since 1964 and am ashamed to admit that of the 55 poets represented the only poems I've read are by Leroi Jones, Sterling Brown, Langston Hughes and Ted Joans, I guess because I knew their names through Paul Oliver's "Blues Fell This Morning".

Totally unrelated, the compiler is Dutch and from 1940-45 an active member of the Resistance. She was captured, escaped, and lived hidden for the two years leading up to Liberation. Sounds like she certainly had cause to have the blues.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:53:17 AM by Bunker Hill »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal