collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He [Ted Bogan] was playing with picks that you put on your fingers and I didn't like that as an accompaniment, so I made him throw them away and I told him I would play the lead and he would play the accompaniment - Carl Martin on hooking up with Ted Bogan (Blues & Rhythm #218 Stompin' In Knox County)

Author Topic: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips  (Read 254765 times)

Offline bnemerov

Re: YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips
« Reply #1050 on: May 12, 2014, 10:50:08 AM »
Two different Joe Holmeses, John.
The one recorded in Macon was originally from Florida. I shared the unpublished research with David Evans---maybe he'll find out more.
[and here's hoping certain Weenies don't get upset by more unpublished research... ;D]

John, you might want to get a copy of the CD "John Work III: Recording Black Culture" if you haven't already. The Macon blues track is on it along with some other very strong music.

best,
bruce

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #1051 on: May 13, 2014, 03:09:47 AM »
check out "Alabama Red" by Sidney Stripling....related to some tunes discussed on Weenie.

Great song!

back to Chestain...  Milk Cow Blues by Gus Gibson sounds a bit like Chestain, maybe, but Railroad Song by Gus Gibson sounds even more like Chestain to me...

Offline oddenda

« Reply #1052 on: May 13, 2014, 04:40:14 AM »
Having met and photographed Gus Gibson in Fort Valley, GA in 1973 (he no longer played), I can vouch for him not being Chestain/Chastain! In fact, Gibson was mentioned as "deceased" in the college magazine that we copied. His passing was greatly exaggerated at that time! A nice and photogenic person who was a part of the relatively unique "folk" festivals held at Ft Valley State for some fifteen years. This was and is an African American educational institution. Read all about it in Bastin's book RED RIVER BLUES, or the articles we wrote for BLUES UNLIMITED back in the day.

pbl

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #1053 on: May 16, 2014, 01:45:49 PM »
Gus Gibson discog http://www.wirz.de/music/gibsgfrm.htm

Mr Millers' Andrew Dunham video lead me to his buddy Sylvester Cotton, who's also pretty nifty

...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1054 on: May 18, 2014, 02:03:11 PM »
Hi all,
It's neat to see another video by Pigmeat Pete and Catjuice Charlie up on YouTube.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #1055 on: May 19, 2014, 04:39:27 PM »
Thank you for the Pigmeat Pete and Catjuice Charlie video, John!

Here's a white fiddler, Fiddlin' Doc Roberts (using a pseudonym "Fiddlin' Frank Nelson") backed by black musicians John and Joe Booker on guitar. I assume they were brothers?

The first one apparently has John Booker on guitar:

And the second one Joe Booker:

Cheers

Pan

Offline alyoung

« Reply #1056 on: May 20, 2014, 04:31:03 AM »

Here's a white fiddler, Fiddlin' Doc Roberts (using a pseudonym "Fiddlin' Frank Nelson") backed by black musicians John and Joe Booker on guitar. I assume they were brothers?

The pseudonym came from the record company, not Roberts. Both tracks were originally issued on the Gennett label as by Fiddlin' Doc Roberts, then on a variety of other labels under a variety of pseudonyms. John and Joe Booker were brothers; both were black guitarists who accompanied their elder brother Jim, a fiddler, with the Booker Orchestra during the same August 26/27, 1927 session that produced Cat Came Back and Buck Creek Girl (plus other tracks). All three brothers also recorded with Roberts in the mainly white Taylors Kentucky Boys at the same session and again on August 27, 1927. Any questions? (Marvellous how a couple of discos can turn a vague memory into a dissertation.)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #1057 on: May 20, 2014, 05:06:52 AM »

The pseudonym came from the record company, not Roberts. Both tracks were originally issued on the Gennett label as by Fiddlin' Doc Roberts, then on a variety of other labels under a variety of pseudonyms. John and Joe Booker were brothers; both were black guitarists who accompanied their elder brother Jim, a fiddler, with the Booker Orchestra during the same August 26/27, 1927 session that produced Cat Came Back and Buck Creek Girl (plus other tracks). All three brothers also recorded with Roberts in the mainly white Taylors Kentucky Boys at the same session and again on August 27, 1927. Any questions? (Marvellous how a couple of discos can turn a vague memory into a dissertation.)

Thanks alyoung!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #1058 on: May 20, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »
Hi all,
Whoever this player was, he certainly was expert.

All best,
Johnm

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #1059 on: May 20, 2014, 02:44:48 PM »
Hi all,
Whoever this player was, he certainly was expert.

Wow, indeed he was. I hear all kinds of influences there, but thinking Lonnie Johnson mainly.
Thanks John.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #1060 on: May 20, 2014, 04:30:50 PM »
Sam Chatmon & Eugene Powell live in 1979.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #1061 on: May 20, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »
I'll second that. Thanks for the post & link, John. We've discussed Lawrence Gellert before, but other than what has been issued, who knows what other gems are contained in all he recorded? Not me.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1062 on: May 21, 2014, 01:51:08 AM »
I remember that when I first heard the Gellert recordings, I thought they were a latter day spoof. Such powerful and sophisticated guitar playing - who were these players, and how had they escaped recording fame? At the very least you'd think their names would be known. I wonder if researchers will ever identify these wonderful blues musicians?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #1063 on: May 21, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »
...I wonder if researchers will ever identify these wonderful blues musicians?

I think Steve Garabedian mentioned in his article that about half have been identified. The info re: Steve's article is in Alan's post at the end of the following thread:

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=2670.0

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #1064 on: May 21, 2014, 10:48:59 AM »
Thanks Stuart. I wonder if that article is available?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal