collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
One of the last words of advice we got from Jim Dickinson was "Get less accurate tuners" - Jimbo Mathus, South Memphis String Band, at Music in the Hall

Author Topic: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.  (Read 40870 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 04:22:46 PM »
John:

Like Uncle Bud says, Amazon.com Marketplace (a network of used book/cd/video sellers) is a source for out-of-print or out-of-production music and books. You should also try using Pricegrabber.com as they cover a network of "Second Hand Stores" (that's what we use to call them). Another good source is http://www.alibris.com/. Go to their menu in the upper left-hand corner and in the "Search" box click on the gray/black down arrow next to "Books" and the "Music: All" and "Movies: All" categories will open up. You then take it from there. You can also try Bookfinder.com as many of the book stores have CDs in their databases.

Items can stay in the retail pipeline long after they are out of production. Its finding them that is the challenge.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 04:51:28 PM »
Items can stay in the retail pipeline long after they are out of production. Its finding them that is the challenge.

Yes, it took me two years to find Mississippi Sheiks Vol 3!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 03:56:35 PM »
Thanks very much, Uncle Bud and Stuart, for suggestions on how to find out-of print CDs that are still out there in the marketplace.
All best,
Johnm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 04:09:08 PM »
A couple of more suggestions for finding Document CDs:

arhoolie.com lists some (click on Imports, then on Document to see the list).  I'm not sure if their "available" list is accurate or not.  I just tried to order some.  I'll post on how well they filled the order when I get mine.

Roots and Rhythm mailorder periodically unearths a few and sells them at a discount.  Check out the Bargain Basement at rootsandrhythm.com for what they currently list.  Be aware that the list isn't strictly kept up-to-date, and some of the CDs listed, such as the Ma Rainey, are no longer available from Roots and Rhythm.  Click on New Releases, then Latest Additions (at the bottom of the New Releases page) for the latest offers. 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2006, 04:53:48 PM »
I should correct my earlier post re Memphis Jug Band vol 1. Document's website doesn't indicate it isn't available, though my regular sources did at the time. The Frog CD still gives you all the tracks plus more, plus remastering by John RT Davies. From the looks of the JSP set, they have ripped off the Frog for disc 1.

Yes on Roots and Rhythm, dj. They also discount stock of Documents that have been reissued (and not necessarily remastered).

Also, thanks for the tip re. Arhoolie. They have very good prices on Document CDs.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 04:58:41 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2006, 05:02:28 PM »
I'd like to second Uncle Bud's thanks, dj.  I like to order from Arhoolie whenever possible.  I will give them and Roots and Rhythm a look.
All best,
Johnm

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2006, 08:35:01 AM »
Another resource is Down Home Music in the same building as Arhoolie.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

crawley

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2006, 09:21:57 PM »
Something you may want to try is emusic. I have no relation, etc. to this website. I have, however accumulated ALOT of document stuff through them. I pay 9.99 per month and get 40 songs. they've got yazoo, jsp, and document. Not entire catalogs, but enough to get you some good stuff. They have about 300 document titles available. Just beware, many of the track listings don't match up to the download/sample. instead of the downloads starting with track 1, it may begin with track 6, and tag 1-5 as the last five tracks. Make sense? I know it's not cool to have the liner notes and such, but whatever. Anything they read is something I can find online, like here. Hope this helps.
-Aaron

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 10:15:39 PM »
Thanks for the Down Home Music tip, Gary.  I just found the Sleepy John Estes, Vol. 2 on Document there.  Thanks!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2006, 08:17:45 AM »
For used CDs, LPs, etc. there's also:

http://www.gemm.com/

Don't forget the "The Essential..." series which is derived from the Document CDs--it's kind of "A Best of..." series with two CD sets.

John: There are a couple of SJE, Vol. 2 available via Amazon.com Marketplace (as Uncle Bud has previously pointed out).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000000J2K/ref=dp_bb_a/103-5911823-5831039?ie=UTF8&tag2=pricegrabber-music-20&redirect=true&condition=new%2F

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2006, 06:55:56 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Stuart.  For Internet  non-savvy persons like myself, any help in tracking these hard-to-find discs is appreciated.  I've got John Estes, vol. 2 and Leecan and Cooksey, vol.2 on the way from Downhome.
All best,
Johnm

Offline NotRevGDavis

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2006, 01:54:42 PM »
Thanks for the Down Home Music tip, Gary.  I just found the Sleepy John Estes, Vol. 2 on Document there.  Thanks!
All best,
Johnm

Glad I could help. I'll keep my eyes open for the others I still bin dive occasionally and find out-of-print CD's.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2006, 08:32:48 AM »
Well, it's not all bad news when trying to find those elusive Documents. According to the October 2006 Document Newsletter, the following CDs have just come back into stock:

Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup Volume 1 DOCD-5201
Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup Volume 2 DOCD-5202
Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup Volume 3 DOCD-5203

Clifford Hayes & Louisville Jug Bands Vol. 1 JPCD-1501-2

Washboard Sam Volume 2 DOCD-5172

Boogie Woogie Boys BDCD-6046

Cow Cow Davenport DOCD-5141

Cripple Clarence Lofton BDCD-6007
Cripple Clarence Lofton BDCD-6006

Jack Kelly BDCD-6005

Memphis Jug Band BDCD-6002

Stovepipe No.1 DOCD-5269

String Bands DOCD-5167

Walter Roland Volume 1 DOCD-5144

Meade Lux Lewis DOCD-5561

Papa Charlie Jackson Volume 2 DOCD-5088

I seem to remember a Weenie here or at Port Townsend looking for the String Bands CD. Now's your chance!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2006, 08:38:34 AM »
Dang! Don't see Buddy Boy Hawkins on that list. I'll have to take some of your tips and mount a real search. Already been over to Down Home and tried Frank at Roots and Rhythm, but no luck.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline NotRevGDavis

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2006, 09:01:29 AM »
Amoeba on Haight (in SF, there used to be one off of Telegraph in Berkeley) had an overwhelming amount of Blues CD's I wasn't able to go through them all when I was there. The best place for finding the OOP stuff is Streetlight in Santa Cruz I'll add Buddy Boy Hawkins to my list.
I find the places that don't specialize in Roots stuff are the most likely to have hard to find Blues CD's.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal