collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Smells like puddin' and it ain't no pie! - Blind Boy Fuller, What's That Smells Like Fish?

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 223075 times)

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #405 on: May 04, 2008, 12:19:27 AM »
Hello,
I'm from Baton Rouge, Louisiana and am interested in learning more about the early blues. This Weenie Campbell Forum looks like the place! Luckily there are a couple of good record, I mean compact disc, stores here that have helped me out considerably in my listening adventures. Although I have heard some really good live acts playing the old stuff in other cities, there is not much "blues roots" music here that I've found, except for Henry Gray, of course. There are plenty of electric "blues" bands in town, all of which seem to play the same songs.  I put a link to a youtube video taken at the local blues fest last weekend in the youtube section of the forum that might be of interest.
Anyway, have a good Saturday night.
Welcome. There may not be much blues in your neck of the woods but it has a wonderful Zydeco/Cajun music heritage both pre and post war. In his 1983 book "South To Louisiana The Music Of The Cajun Bayous" John Broven observed that apart from the recordings made by Jay Miller of Lightnin' Slim, Slim Harpo, Lazy Lester etc most of the country blues recorded in Louisiana were made within the walls of the State Penn. by Harry Oster (see http://www.wirz.de/music/osterfrm.htm)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #406 on: May 04, 2008, 08:47:47 AM »
Welcome Lin48!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 08:48:51 AM by Slack »

Beanman

« Reply #407 on: June 03, 2008, 08:23:26 AM »
Apologize for hitting the wrong key to post something incomplete.

Anyway - tom from Vashon Island, playing for the past 40 odd years off and on.
Really got revved up after my first blues camp last summer. Now playing in three different kinds of groups. an acoustic trio and an, dare I say, electric band as well. Mostly bloues with a little country style thrown in as well.
Did the bottleneck workshop this past winter. Totally dug it and learned way too much for the brain to retain, but did get some awesome licks and of course the jammin' was way outta control.
super great group of people at camp as well as those who took good care of us.
Really would like to hook up with a mandolin player this summer to work on some Dawg Blues.
I'll be showing up on Monday bright and early as I can't get into town until super late sunday night.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: June 03, 2008, 08:46:55 AM »
Welcome Beanman.  You are well situated to take advantage of Centrum's workshops - I'm jealous!

J. Baxter

« Reply #409 on: June 13, 2008, 09:39:36 PM »
Hello folks,

I would have logged back in under 'Gamblin' Jack' but it won't let me...

My obsession is pre-war tunes in general - from dance orchestras to string bands to klezmer - , though I have a special love for the blues. I have been collecting Yazoo records for many years now, though I recently discovered Old Hat - especially their brilliant Good for What Ails You, and Folks, He Sure Do Pull Some Bow (The Jazz Fiddler!!!).

I have played ukulele and tenor banjo for a number of years, and started playing blues guitar last year, mostly bottleneck but more ragtime these days (thanks to uni procrastination!).

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #410 on: June 14, 2008, 08:37:50 AM »
Welcome J. Baxter! When you say it won't let you log in as Gamblin' Jack, do you mean you had registered previously as Gamblin' Jack, but now are somehow blocked from logging in using that username? Just to be clear, so we can fix any glitches or help you figure out what went wrong.

As for uni procrastination, I'm not familiar with the term, but I'm assuming it has nothing to do with sea urchins...

J. Baxter

« Reply #411 on: June 15, 2008, 01:28:35 AM »
You don't have to fix it, but the site didn't like the apostrophe in Gamblin' when I tried to log back in.

Oh sorry, being from Australia, instead of colleges they're called universities, hence uni.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #412 on: June 15, 2008, 08:24:53 AM »
They're universities here too (Canada). Just wasn't up on the lingo...

Offline FretMonkey

« Reply #413 on: August 07, 2008, 08:05:17 AM »
Hola!

Hey gang! I'm a 37 year old geeetar player wannabe in Ontario Canada.  I've been playing guitar for 19 years (mostly just a noodler), fingerstyle and slide guitar for the last 2 or 3 years and I am just getting my big toe wet in pre-war blues.  I just ordered a bunch of instructional DVDs and can't wait to dive in!

I've been lurking for awhile and to be honest I'm intimidated by the volume of knowledge and level of musicianship in these forums! You guys / gals absolutely know your stuff!  Great forums and great vibe here - thanks to all that make it a cool place for a lurker like me to hang out :)

FM

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #414 on: August 07, 2008, 08:45:50 AM »
Welcome, FretMonkey!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #415 on: August 07, 2008, 08:56:28 AM »
Yes, welcome FM! - glad you de-lurked!

Offline billdraper

« Reply #416 on: October 15, 2008, 11:23:47 PM »
Hi I'm new to the board and really like the old country blues artists and its good to find a site like this. I play guitar and sing enough to know its not easy...like I have to keep things simple. THe old blues players are like magicians the way they sing and play and express don't you know it!!

Anyway I puchased a couple of pre-war ladder braced guitars and I love them. I just learned the intro to crossroads...heh-heh sorta... Youtube with Rory Block...wow that is fun stuff!! Nice to be aboard..

Bill   
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:53:22 PM by billdraper »

Offline arlotone

• arlotone.com
« Reply #417 on: November 09, 2008, 04:15:46 PM »
Hi folks,

I met Waxwing at the San Francisco Jug Band Festival in August 07 and he first told me about the site. Since then, I've posted a couple of events, and browsed other threads from time to time, but haven't jumped in on any conversations yet. I'm lucky enough to have a good community of traditional blues fans here in Chicago, but I'd like to start branching out to the online community as well.

My main instrument is guitar, but I'm just getting started with some of the country blues techniques. I especially like the East Coast style, but other than some basic syncopated rhythms, a lot of the playing is over my head. I'm mostly a "lyrics guy" and I really love learning clever songs and seeing how memorable lines and verses migrate into different songs.

Anyway, I have to commend you all on maintaining what appears to be an extremely friendly community here. I followed the presidential election closely all year and I'm feeling a bit toxic from the venom that was spread all over the Internet on that topic. Even forums related to some of my other interests get surprisingly nasty at times. So, keep up the good work and I hope to be back soon!

Arlo Leach
Chicago, IL, USA
http://arlotone.com

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #418 on: November 09, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »
Welcome Arlo.

Yes, I've seen you hovering around at times. I'm sure all the moderators here thank you for you observations.

Keep up the good work with the Chicago jug fest. I'm not playing in a band at the moment but am always keeping my jug and washboard chops up, so I might make it out there one of these years.

Always room for more lyric discussions. More fodder for Weeniepedia.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: November 09, 2008, 07:55:41 PM »
Welcome Arlo!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal