collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Sweet Singer of the Swamplands Here to Do a Few Tunes between Homicides" - January 3, 1935, headline in the New York Herald Tribune announcing the arrival of Leadbelly

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 223145 times)

redmeg8

Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #330 on: March 08, 2007, 08:58:39 AM »
Hi everyone... I'm new :)
Altered to your existence on another internet radio station: woxy.com

I'm over-the-moon to find this station!
 :D Megan

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #331 on: March 08, 2007, 09:22:23 AM »
Welcome Megan!

tommersl

« Reply #332 on: March 29, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »
Hi everybody my name is Tommer and I am Israeli. I actually saw the film on the youtube thread with Carl Martin and was wondering whether it's available on dvd. I started playing guitar about 4 months or maybe 5 months ago I don't recall exactly.

Offline lampens

« Reply #333 on: April 18, 2007, 01:57:48 AM »
Hi, my name is Lampens. I'm from the netherlands. Playing guitar for about 18 years. Started getting interest in playing old country blues about a year ago. I liked the music for a longer time but never thought of actually playing it myself, but I just grew tired of the electric guitar plectrum picking stuff and wanted something else. Always thought fingerpicking would be tough but I bought me an acoustic and had a go at it.
Found this site by looking for some stuff on Mance Lipscomb. Google FTW. :D
Already found some good stuff via this site. keep it up.
The blues. The blues ain't nothin'. The blues ain't nothin' but a cold, grey day. And all night long, it stays that way.

Duke Ellington

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #334 on: April 18, 2007, 06:49:38 AM »
Hoi Lampens,

Welkom bij Weenie Campbell.  Er is hier veel te zien en hooren.

Groetjes uit Engeland,
Parlor Picker
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline lampens

« Reply #335 on: April 18, 2007, 08:19:24 AM »
He, dat is grappig.  :D
The blues. The blues ain't nothin'. The blues ain't nothin' but a cold, grey day. And all night long, it stays that way.

Duke Ellington

mmpresti

« Reply #336 on: May 06, 2007, 10:13:48 PM »
Hi, I'm Matthew Presti. I've been a member of the Weenie juke forum for over a year, but never realized there was a place to introduce yourself.

I found this website when I was researching the blues magazine Mamlish Blues and Mamlish records, and suddenly felt the desire to hear "Mamlish Blues" by Ed Bell. I googled the title, and the Weenie Juke came up. 

The blues has always been with me as a musical form ever since I began playing guitar back in 1997. I was raised in New Orleans in the late 1980's and come from a musical background. I played piano as a kid and became an expert at playing Scott Joplin tunes and improvised tunes along the theme of the "Habanera" bass. So I've had what's called a "formal musical education". I first became interested in playing guitar when my parents decided I was far too noisy on the piano, and when I got my first blues album as an Easter present from my mother. The first blues song I ever heard was Taj Mahal's "Leaving Trunk". I realized a lot of Mahal's music had country blues roots, but I didn't really like this music yet until I went to middle-school and had a falling out with all the people I thought were my friends. At the same time my dad who used to be in a garage-band in the 60s, began teaching me how to finger-pick tunes like "Freight Train" and "Warm and Windy" as popularized by Doc Watson and Chet Atkins. Like most white people who get into blues music, I started out listening to a lot of classic rock music and folk. So this means, I followed just about every pathway into blues, jazz, and folk music that Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Eric Burden, Alvin Lee, Paul Butterfield, Jack Elliot, Arlo Guthrie, Janice Joplin, and countless surf guitarists took. So I was well grounded in the works of Leadbelly, Blind Lemon, Sleepy John Estes, and had a few CDs by urban sounds like John Lee Hooker and Robert Cray, when I met a guy named Charles at my middle school who had heard from other kids that I liked blues music, which was an eccentricity, considering the kind of popular gobulous crap that most other kids liked to smear their ears with. Charles introduced me a Muddy Waters album he had called "King Bee" and to the retrospective Chess recordings of Howlin' Wolf. I borrowed these albums, which completely turned me onto the "urban" sounding blues music. Around this time three albums I happened upon by freak accident turned my attention to blues music for good. One was an Elmore James album called, "Cut It", Sleepy John Estes' "Electric Sleep", and the third was John Lee Hooker's "Urban Blues".

That's when I first began dividing blues music into categories "country", "urban", and "white" psychedelic or folk music. These categories soon faded away when I started learning more about jazz music, and studied extensively jazz guitar styles. During this time I lost track of the blues, and began taking such rubbish as Theodor Adorno's theories of "Jazz music as a fetish commodity" seriously. I began to transcend what I thought was the fetish character of jazz and went on about microtonal subjects for a long time, yet not really knowing what I was talking about. Then I renewed my studies in surrealism, after a brief period of stagnation in other currents of supposed radicalism, in music and other areas. I began realizing the importance of black music in general as a moving and poetic force, which I had internally known for a number of years. Paul Garon's study of blues as a poetic and psychic medium Blues and the Poetic Spirit, turned me onto the revolutionary poetics of blues which I had suspected all along. All of Garon's works have influenced my predilections for blues music, but has also helped me to understand that the blues permeates our present day popular culture and subculture(s) and is one of the best kept wildest secrets of the everyday mundane life in the civilizee world order.

I just finished seeing Taj Mahal at the New Orleans Jazz fest today. As he said between songs, "I'm going to play the blues, a lot of people don't know what that is, they hear it and they think, 'What is that? Smells like some stinking catfish' (sic)"

That's kind of how I feel when I talk about blues music to which a large majority of people won't open their ears because they think it's either gutbucket country trash, or some stereotyped image of two macho men in fedoras singing "soul man".

Offline nonsectarianblues

« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2007, 12:28:56 PM »
Howdy,

I was looking for lyrics to Nobody's Business and found this great forum I thought only existed in my dreams.  There are other people out there like me!  :D

It's been a long haul with the blues.  Back in junior high school, I found out where all the Led Zeppelin songs came from and followed them back down the Mississippi and around the Gulf Coast and up the East Coast and around and around (prewar blues delirium).  I like it all.  I admit I only really liked Delta Blues for awhile, but the more I learned, the more my ear opened up.  It really helped to see Catfish Keith live on night.  He made it all work and gave me a new appreciation for "Buffalo Gals".

Right now, I am seriously focusing on building up a repertoire of songs.  Hopefully, I can share something that I learn.

NonSectarianBlues

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2007, 12:31:26 PM »
Welcome NonSectarianBlues, glad you found us!

telescopa

« Reply #339 on: May 29, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Hi,

I stumbled on your great site, doing research on Mr. Fraulini's guitars..he's not too far from me here in the Chicagoland area.  I really haven't scratched the surface in terms of what you have going on here - But I love all kinds of music, and plan on learning plenty.  I recently traded for my first '20s-something Oscar Schmidt parlor, and I'll be looking for more songs to play!

Lyrics, licks, lessons, reviews - WOW!

Regards,
Jim

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: May 29, 2007, 01:58:16 PM »
Welcome Jim!

Offline TX_Songster

• From Fort Worth, hometown of The Black Ace
« Reply #341 on: July 25, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
Howdy all-
I've been lurking around here for a while now, and thought I better properly introduce myself.  I hail from the hometown of Babe Karo Lemon Turner (aka Black Ace), Fort Worth, Texas.  Some day when I figure out my new digital recorder and muster some courage, I'll post some songs on the Back Porch.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 03:10:21 PM by TX_Songster »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: July 25, 2007, 03:19:13 PM »
Welcome Joel!

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #343 on: July 25, 2007, 07:18:34 PM »
I ain't new, but we all know Roi's gone for a little while, right?

Griffis

« Reply #344 on: August 10, 2007, 07:54:15 AM »
Man oh man...can't tell you all how happy I am to have found this place. I wish I'd known about it from the beginning. I've been missing out.

Name: Griffis Hames

Background: Been playing stringed instruments for almost 30 years. Grew up in a punk rock atmosphere, but came to pre-war music around 1990.

I have a deep love for Old Time music...rural blues, early stringband country, early hot jazz, early "world" recordings such as Mariachi, Hawaiian, Calypso, etc.

Huge collection of Document and Yazoo and Arhoolie label discs as well as a small collection of 78rpms.

Lately I've been playing a lot of ukulele, but still play my old 6-string acoustic guitar at least 50% of the time. I just ordered an old Silvertone tenor guitar because I've been having some hand and wrist pains. Hope to pick up the tenor guitar and acquire a tenor banjo at some point.

Have also dabbled in fiddle, mandolin, 5-string banjo, washtub bass, washboard, harmonica, etc. I also wield a mean kazoo.

My favorites bluesmen and songsters: Charley Patton, Blind Willie McTell, Mississippi John Hurt, Bo Carter, Papa Charlie Jackson, Skip James...really too many to mention.

My favorite groups of all time are Memphis Jug Band, Canon's Jug Stompers and Charlie Poole and the North Carolina Ramblers.

Now, does anyone here live in Roanoke, Virginia? I just moved here and I'm ready to start making som emusic again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal