collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
These are the hottest kinda dogs... I mean, they're steamin' puppies - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Hot Dogs

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 223104 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2007, 12:55:40 PM »
 Glad to know you wouldn't wantonly change a good ladder braced guitar over.-G-

There are a few folks building them now. Todd Cambio, at Fraulini is a regular poster here and you'll see his banner ad from time to time. Another is Mike Hauver, who can be contacted thru Neil Harpe's Stella guitars site.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

jeandavidblanc

« Reply #316 on: January 24, 2007, 12:13:18 PM »
Hi.. My name's Jean-David and I'm new here... I'm from Switzerland and I've been living in Norway for four years.. I started off playing the guitar 17 years ago... I used to play a lot of folk and traditional tunes (especially Bob Dylan)... One year ago I saw a norwegian guys playing fingerstyle blues in a pub... I was delighted to listen to him and I started training my rolls... I've discovered many great artists among the early bluesmen.. I like a lot Mance Lipscomb, Lonnie Johnson and Bukka White...

I will have some inquires in the futur, I reckon... :)

Jean-David

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: January 24, 2007, 12:28:51 PM »
Welcome Jean-David -- glad you found us!

Offline Peghead Howell

• It's a great day to play!!!
« Reply #318 on: January 24, 2007, 04:54:06 PM »
Hello All,, I am Mike (Peghead Howell) and am 3-4 years late for posting this,, 2002 Port Townsend changed my life,,, I was a hooked Blues nut before but didn't realize it,, after a week of listening, playing, and making acquaintance with "like minded" people, I was a goner down the road.. I had (1) CD,, but some vinyl of Country blues players which sound like the old 78's now from hard play.  I started playing guitar (self taught) on a cheap Epiphone 3/4 size, I bought with paper route money (14 years old).
Let music drop through military time and for 20 years roughly,, marriage, first child, farm
'remodeling etc.  Then job stress got to me,,, tried excercise, diet, etc.  then I tuned up my old guitar, new strings and played my old tired reportoire,,, but I felt GREAT!!!!!
Well, long story short,,  No more stress, no more meds.,New guitar, playing with my neJphew, recorded some songs, gave my mother a cassette of all I had learned,, she passed on as well as my dad (1) year apart.  More playing,, tavern on thursday nights, all musical friends of mine,, tough work days  Fridays!!!! 

Retired,, time to play more,, remodeling,, fun stuff,, settled on slide style, open D or G
Jam once a month,, trying to learn more songs,, love Furry Lewis, Lightning Hopkin's
and Pegleg Howell (no relation) among a hundred others,,, thank's to all my new friends from Port Townsend,, see you all this summer.. Mike
Just wait until next year!!!!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #319 on: January 24, 2007, 05:48:07 PM »
Bienvenue, Jean-David!

Howdy Peghead! ;)

nickysplendid

« Reply #320 on: February 06, 2007, 12:58:31 AM »
Hello there :)

Nick Jones here from South Wales UK.

I play National Resophonic and a Martin and lurve blues, ragtime - in fact 'music' in general.

I may have met a couple of you fine folk at the swindon meet late last year.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2007, 06:55:05 AM »
Welcome Nick!

Offline Cracker Stackwell

• "keepin' the blues alive"
    • Blue Moose Cafe
« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2007, 09:25:14 PM »
     Hi there Weenies!  I'm kinda new to forums and such....I am a country blues (mostly) guitar player/performer and small time concert promoter and bohemian coffeehouse owner in Wild WV.   
     Been listening to Weenie Radio for awhile and enjoying the forum, and I'm really tickled to find a community of country blues heads out there.
     I invite you all to peruse the coffeehouse website http://www.thebluemoosecafe.com. I also ran The Rosewood Theatre http://www.rosewoodtheatre.com/ in Morgantown, WV, which unfortunately bit the dust about this time last year.  I've had the honor and pleasure to present (and play with some of them), the likes of Rory Block, John Hammond, Roy Book Binder, Jorma Kaukonen, Ernie Hawkins (Morgantown is right between Fur Peace and Pittsburgh, so I get to see these characters fairly regular), Mary Flower, Paul Geremia, Corey Harris, John Cephas and Phil Wiggins, Ann Rabson......
     We also did folk, bluegrass/ old time, world music, some jazz, even some college indie rock stuff and a couple of hiphop shows (hey, if it gets people in the door!). I continue to present music at the cafe and a little bit of outside promoting, but now I enjoy playing out more..... alot easier!
     I like to play guitar about every chance I get, morning, noon and night, in between running the business...... my girlfriend is very understanding. She's had to listen to the Hesitation Blues (several versions) every day for years, and she still likes me. What a gal. I host an open-mic night and play out occasionally at clubs, coffeehouses and restaurants.
      Several blues guitar heroes: first and foremost is Reverend Davis, Jorma's been a great big inspiration to me (since like 1968),Ernie and Roy.  I enjoy listening to Blind Blake, Bo Carter, Charlie Patton to name a few, and oh yeah, I got a rise out of finding the video posting of Sam Chatmon here on WeenieCampbell forum.
      Anyways, nice meeting y'all in advance and I look forward to adventures in country blues! Viva le Bleus, Cracker

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2007, 10:12:17 PM »
Hello all from San Jose...where nothing important happens that doesn't have to do with tiny silicon chips...

I've listened to weenie juke radio for a year or two now...Finally decided to see what was happening forum-wise on the site. 
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

LoneWolf

« Reply #324 on: February 07, 2007, 07:27:20 AM »
Hey Slim good to see you here!! It's Roi.

Offline Coyote Slim

• coyoteslim.com
« Reply #325 on: February 07, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »
Heya Roi!
Puttin' on my Carrhartts, I gotta work out in the field.

Coyote Slim's Youtube Channel

Offline Blind_Jim_G

« Reply #326 on: February 08, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »
Wow, I just stumbled on to this site.  It looks great and the content even better.   I won't go near a computer when I'm home, so I guess my productivity at work is going to drop a while as I sift through all this material. 

I'm 47,  working out of Cambridge MA and live a few towns away.  I've been playing off and on for close to 30 years now.  We passed through Port Townsend once a few years ago.  Beautful place. The economy seemed to be based on B&B's, every other house seemed to be one.  I'd love to come back out for a workshop, but probably never going to happen. 

I have been to several of the Augusta Blues Weeks in the past and enjoyed those very much.  Currently I'm taking lessons about once a month with Paul Rishell. I've just rediscovered Blind Blake and haven't listened to anything else for weeks.  I've also been saving my pennies for a new NR Style 1 Tricone (joining my others, a '63 Gibson J45 and an '86 OMI Duolain), so it will be a while before I go back to any week long workshops or even fly anywhere.  When I do you can be sure that my other big influence these days, Steve James, will be one of the instructors.

Time to go look around some more, this is going to take a while.  Again, nice job!

Edit: Oh, I'm not Blind, but somebody else apparently grabbed plain old Jim_G. Had to come up with something I would remember down the line.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 08:41:31 AM by Blind_Jim_G »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #327 on: February 08, 2007, 09:43:41 AM »
Welcome Jim! Glad you found us. Lucky you taking lessons from Paul Rishell on a regular basis. He's a fabulous teacher and very entertaining in the workshops he's done at Port Townsend (he's coming back this year).

Offline Blind_Jim_G

« Reply #328 on: February 08, 2007, 09:56:20 AM »
Hey Bud, just make sure you send Paul (and Annie) back to us when you're done.  ;D  Paul hasn't said it outright, but I get the feeling those two would relocate to the West Coast if they thought they could swing it.  I know they love travelling out that way and would do more if they could find the gigs.

leonard

« Reply #329 on: February 12, 2007, 04:53:54 PM »
Hi my name is Lenny
Just found this site last week. Found it thru Roy bookbinders site.
Played guitar since 1980. Lots of Neil Young Grateful dead acoustic duo stuff. Played in our local park alot and some bars and college parties. Always liked David Bromberg.In the late 80's I was at a Hot Tuna show,and I heard some people talking about Jorma's going to put out a instructional video tape. Talked with him after the show. I guess that really started it for me. later he opened Fur Peace Ranch in Southern Ohio. Where I met Roy Bookbinder. He's Great!! Very nice people. Took a class from John Hammond jr there. He's a monster.
If you've never checked it out ,they have a nice website and very good instructors. I like all the old bluesman, Love to watch them play. Now that I've found Weenie Campbell I'm havin a ball.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal