collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
[We played in] restaurants, taverns, and gangster hangouts. Played... Italian music, German music, we played polka music... we'd play blues, too... we played wherever the dancers was - Roosevelt Scott, on the life of a bluesman in Chicago in the 1940s. From an interview with Jim O'Neal in the notes to Document 5413

Author Topic: Early New Orleans - New CD  (Read 1513 times)

Offline SpikeDriver

• Howdy!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Early New Orleans - New CD
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:12:43 AM »
Cool!  By my count, only 11 of the 40 musical tracks are also included on JSP's Breaking Out Of New Orleans.  And from the samples at the Archeophone site, those 11 songs sond MUCH better on the Archeophone release.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »
I just got this, and I have to say it's an impressive package.  There's an excellent booklet, with an essay, discography, and a lot of photos.  And the sound is absolutely amazing.  At present, I doubt that one could get better sound out of those discs.  If you want higher fidelity, you'll have to wait years for technology to advance. 

Oh, and the music is first-rate, too.  A few 12 bar blues, a version of Careless Love, and lots of raucous early jazz.  Recommended!

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:57:49 AM »
Apart from the fact I probably have most of this on LP (even 78!) this looks a really good package... tempting!

Has anybody bought the King Oliver cds.. what is the quality like?  What we really need to be remastered are the Oliver's Dixie Syncapator sides, luvly stuff  :)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 05:18:27 AM »
Yes, I got the King Oliver set on Off The Record/Archeophone at the same time I got Cabaret Echoes.  Again, the sound is excellent, better than I would have imagined it could be.  The folks who did the mastering apparently spent a lot of time choosing the right stylus and correct playback speed, and did some judicious declicking, but no heavy filtering for surface noise.  And, like Cabaret Echoes, the booklet is really good, with an essay on the remastering, an essay on King Oliver and the band, and notes to the individual songs.

I guess I should mention that the music is the best part of the package.   ;)   

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal