collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

If the blues was whiskey I'd stay drunk all the time - Leadbelly, DeKalb Blues

Author Topic: Jazz chord: A thing?  (Read 289 times)

Offline MandolinPaul

Jazz chord: A thing?
« on: May 18, 2020, 08:56:49 PM »
Hereís a theory Iíve presented in mixed company in the past. It has been met with everything from healthy skepticism, to basic ignoring, to outright hostility (the latter mostly from people whoíve spent a pile of time learning jazz chords).

Iíve been a solo performer on mandolin and tenor banjo for a few years. I will often play an instrumental verse to a song Iím singing - or licks between lines - while continuing to use notes of the chord as a harmony (however dissonant by times). So if Iím chording in G, I may end up hitting an A or.a C note as part of the melody or lick, while continuing to hit the G, B, and/or D notes as part of that chord. Nothing too wacky there.

My theory: This is what old players originally did, but people tried to express this chordally - and thatís why we ended up with "jazz" chords with all the numbers in them. Someone heard a solo player playing a G chord with an A in it for the melody, and they invented the Gadd9 chord, or sometimes even the G9. As "proof", ask a jazz player to write out the chords for a 12-bar blues song; theyíll end up throwing in a pile of numbers.

When Iíve been feeling particularly vocal about this opinion, Iíve even theorized that there is actually no such thing as any of these complex chords - that they are simply a product of someone trying to express melodic playing via chords. Of course, things have derived from this pattern to get to the point where there is actually a need for some of these chords now (thanks a lot, Charlie Parker!).

To give the full picture, I dislike jazz with all my heart and soul, while loving the blues with just as much vigor.

Since Iím not embroiled in a huge argument about this at the moment, Iím willing to admit that this theory may be - to use a technical term - a bunch of hooey. Or I suppose itís possible that itís true, and I only came to the same conclusion that Iíve never heard millions of other music geeks express.

Thoughts?

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Jazz chord: A thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 06:15:46 AM »
Hooeysus#add9 ?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal