collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You just got to have a lot of publicity 'cause otherwise the police will put you in jail. Just don't give up - Blind Arvella Gray

Author Topic: Sonny Boy Williamson  (Read 7004 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Sonny boy Williamson
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 03:53:44 AM »
The irony is DJ that one of the occasional contributors to the paper was Mike Leadbitter who at that point was the research authority on "Rice".

It seems like whenever I read blues scolarship from 40 or 50 years ago, I'm either amazed at how much was known back then or I'm amazed at how little was known back then.   :)

Bunker Hill, do you have a date for that clipping?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 04:49:38 AM »
Bunker Hill, do you have a date for that clipping?
Just about visible my scrawl in top right corner says "Sounds" March '72.

mmpresti

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 01:23:58 PM »
There are also a number of blues and jazz musicians who record under the name Joe Williams, among them Big Joe and "Jackson" Joe Williams.

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 02:01:01 PM »
Also there was a Memphis Ma Rainey, much younger than the original Ma Rainey, who was still playing in Memphis (and sometimes touring) with the remaining old-time blues and jug players, into the early '80s. She also was known as Lillie Mae Glover, or Ma Rainey #2. But often just went by "Ma Rainey." So when you meet people who tell you they knew Ma Rainey or used to hear her in Memphis, that's probably the woman they are talking about. Not the original Ma, who died in 1939.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 11:22:22 PM »
Also there was a Memphis Ma Rainey, much younger than the original Ma Rainey, who was still playing in Memphis (and sometimes touring) with the remaining old-time blues and jug players, into the early '80s. She also was known as Lillie Mae Glover, or Ma Rainey #2. But often just went by "Ma Rainey." So when you meet people who tell you they knew Ma Rainey or used to hear her in Memphis, that's probably the woman they are talking about. Not the original Ma, who died in 1939.
There is a chapter devoted to her based upon a 1973 interview in McKee & Chisenhall's book "Beale, Black & Blue: Life and Music on Black America?s Main Street" (Louisiana State UP, 1981, p. 142-153)

eddie

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 04:16:56 AM »
One strange side issuse of the two Sunny Boys is that Sonny Boy 1 and Big Joe Williams recorded Sunny Boy 2's theme - King Biscuit Stomp, in 1947.
That must of been confusiong !

On two musicians using the same name - there were two Howling Wolfs.
And in England a Howling Wilf, but I think that was a Joke !

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 07:37:37 AM »

Interesting. On that History Detectives episode awhile back where they were snorkeling for Paramounts in Grafton, WI, there was a daughter of a Paramount staffer who recalled sitting on Ma Rainey's lap at the studios. Only thing is, as far as I can tell, Ma never recorded in Grafton.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »
Only thing is, as far as I can tell, Ma never recorded in Grafton.

Dix, God & Rye confirm this, Chicago and NYC, no Grafton.

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 07:46:12 PM »
Well there's Chuck Willis and Chuck Willis, but I'm sure that was an accident.  ;)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 09:03:47 AM »
Well there's Chuck Willis and Chuck Willis, but I'm sure that was an accident.  ;)
Should one of those Willis be CHICK the guitarist who just happend to be born in Atlanta too, six years after Chuck, and managed to appear on the recording scene in 1956 the very year that Chuck had his first R&B hit with "It's Too Late"?

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »
Should one of those Willis be CHICK the guitarist who just happend to be born in Atlanta too, six years after Chuck, and managed to appear on the recording scene in 1956 the very year that Chuck had his first R&B hit with "It's Too Late"?

Nope, there are indeed TWO rhythm and blues musicians named Chuck Willis

mississippijohnhurt1928

Re: Sonny Boy Williamson
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 08:44:04 AM »
Actually, I think I'm going crazy, disregard everything I posted previous to this on this thread.

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Sonny Boy Williamson
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
Speaking of Sonny Boy Williamson, as we haven't in this topic for five years, this link appeared in an email sent to me

http://ourblues.wordpress.com/category/authors/chris-smith/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal