collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She had brains, but she was a little late everywhere else, if you know what I mean - Bukka White, about a U. of Chicago college student he had met. conversation at a party, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 7/24/1975

Author Topic: Joe Werner's Lyrics (cajun)  (Read 1836 times)

Offline 5.strings inside

• Celtic and old time banjo session
Joe Werner's Lyrics (cajun)
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »
Hi everyone,

I would like to find the lyrics to that cajun song called Crap Shooter's Hop by Joe Werner and the Ramblers. The words are in english (even more difficult to understand than french acadian, for me at least). This song from the 30's is often part of Cajun anthologies, among them "The Cajuns: Songs, Waltzes, and Two-Steps, Various Artists FWRBF21", on Smithsonian Folkways. it also appears on The New Lost City Ramblers album There Ain't No Way Out.
This song is not a blues, rather a rag (barely related to Stone's Rag ). I don't know anything about Joes Werner except that he played with the Hackberry Ramblers and was the author of Wandering a song which has become part of C&W repertoire
A long search on the net didn't give anything.
Any help from a cajun music enthusiast will be πappreciated

Thanks alot?
Jean Louis
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:19:52 PM by Johnm »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Joe Werner's Lyrics (cajun)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:48:03 AM »
Welcome Jean Louis -- usually we ask people to post what they have of lyrics to get us started, but as it happens this is a relatively short one so I just went ahead and did it. I've never heard the original, but here's what Tracy Schwarz sings on the NLCR album, with one word I'm not totally sure of in brackets:

I'm rollin' them bones on Easy Street
I'm tellin' you boys I'm hard to beat
Shakin' those dice both night and day
Tryin' to make them dark [dames/days?] pay.

Shake them up, shake them down
Drop them easy upon the ground
Come on dice, let me hear you rattle,
Turn right up and show me a natural.

Some slight changes the second time through, like dice for bones in line 1, but otherwise pretty much the same verses repeated.

Chris

Offline 5.strings inside

• Celtic and old time banjo session
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
Thank tou very much Chris !
usually we ask people to post what they have of lyrics to get us started,
I understood this quite well, but in this case I had not a word of the song to begin with.

Thank you again

Offline dprobkw

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 11:40:42 AM »
The lyrics are pretty accurate but in the line " Trying to make them (Dam) things pay " is the correct line.  He was my grandfather and i still have the original bluebird recording. If you need any other help please give a shout.

Brian

Offline falcanary

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »
Hello Brian.  I'm writing an article on your grandfather Joe Werner.  He played in the same clubs my uncle Joe Falcon played in.   I have several of your grandfather's bluebird recordings including Wondering and Crap Shooter's Hop.

I had a slew of questions to ask you.  Either contact me via Facebook (Wade Falcon) or email falcanary@yahoo.com

WF

Offline Suzy T

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »
Wade, if you find out any information about Wayne Perry in the course of your Joe Werner, please post it!

Tags: Cajun 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal