collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She specialized in low-down blues "because they didn't come up to Harlem to go to church" - Ethel Waters on singing ungodly raw songs for her audience, Nobody Know Where the Blues Come From

Author Topic: Blues Banjo  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Roscoe

Blues Banjo
« on: November 02, 2006, 08:11:46 AM »
hi. here is an old tune called cluck old hen in sawmill tuning. i have heard this tuning called mountain modal or mountain minor too. i recorded some banjo tunes a while back on a bart reiter white lady that came thru my shop. (shoulda kept it). anyway....i think its kinda bluzy sounding. hope you like it.
roscoe

Offline Dr. G

Re: Blues Banjo
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 06:03:30 PM »
Terrific rendition, roscoe!

Great rhythm, crisp, clean sound, great old tune. I agree that "mountain minor" sounds "bluzy"...hadn't occured to me (it's been years since i played "Shady Grove" or "Pretty Polly") -- but you are right.

Please post more. We gotta keep this banjo revolution going!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 07:51:23 AM »
Yeah, Roscoe, really nice stuff. Beautiful and definitely sounds bluesy. I'm one who thinks lots of banjo material sounds bluesy actually.

I must say I'm impressed with all the banjo-playing on the Back Porch lately. It's really great to hear all of it, and I just love the sound of blues banjo. (Plus, in cyberspace we don't have to mop up the drool from the floor. Excellent.)

Frankie posted long ago about a black banjo conference/festival taking place last year. Anyone attend or hear anything about how it went? Here's the thread: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=83&topic=616.0

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:09:15 AM »
A great tuning for cluck old hen - and great playing as well!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:12:28 AM »
Hi Roscoe,
It sounds great.  The only thing I missed was your singing, which I always enjoy.
All best,
Johnm

nixpix

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 09:39:28 AM »
Great playing and, yes, Bart makes wonderful sounding banjos. I hope to purchase on of his Specials within the next year. One thing I love about this forum is that while our primary "love" may be guitar and the blues, we are open to appreciate and discuss all styles and instruments that were so important in early America.

Offline Dr. G

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 04:53:43 PM »
Amen to that, nixpix!

Offline Roscoe

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 01:56:33 PM »
thanks everybody for all the positive feedback. weenie campbell is a cool deal.
roscoe

Tags: banjo 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal