collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I love the music business, but it sucks. The only thing I can liken it to is the drug business. Everybody's out to get you, no one's legit, and the only people getting paid are at the top. - Syl Johnson

Author Topic: where else on the interwebs...  (Read 12040 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: where else on the interwebs...
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2014, 01:47:37 PM »
I played at Jalopy maybe about a month or so ago and did this tune with my friend Joe Bellulovich...  kind of impromptu..  I'd never played this tune for actual people before (although I'd posted it some time ago), and had never played with anyone else..  Joe, of course, falls right into it.

Brace yourselves... 9+ minutes... my friend Ernesto Gomez shot the video.

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »
Yes!!   

I like it!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »
Well, that was the best 9,5 minutes I spent today!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2014, 02:29:14 AM »
When they eventually get round to inventing teleporting, I'll get to the Jalopy more often. Meanwhile, great to see and hear this performance!

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2014, 06:55:02 AM »
It's always good to hear you, Frank.  I sure like the calmness/spirit of adventure on this one.  I felt like you were going some new places at various times, surprising yourself, possibly.  Joe sure plays well, and he listens incredibly well.  A treat!
All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2014, 07:45:02 AM »
Yes, indeedy. Both of you make it seem easy. Really liked it. And thanks to Ernesto for filming for the rest of us.

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
Frankie, that was real enjoyable. Y'all may not have played that tune together before, but I'm betting you've played other stuff, a bunch.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2014, 04:56:50 AM »
Thanks, all of you...  Joe is pretty incredible..  we only had four songs to do between the two of us, so we made two of them duets and the other two were solos..  we made the best of it!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
warning: I've been deep in banjo mode lately, so those of you who are still practicing banjo avoidance in all its forms should DEFINITELY avoid this post. You have been warned. Proceed at your own risk.

Of the stuff I've been doing lately, only this one is directly related to country blues, and you might like it, although it kinda got away from me. It clocks in at 10+ minutes.. I didn't even know it was possible for me to play one banjo tune for that long:

It's actually the third in a series of postings. If you're interested in wider ruminations on my favorite living old-time banjo players, you can check them out here:

http://www.donegone.net/?p=363

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »
Delightful, Frankie. Proof that not all banjos sound the same, and not all banjos sound annoying--two of the most common beliefs held by the anti-banjo community.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »
So, Jaybird Coleman inspired? (Aside: Listening to the original, I suddenly hear Turn Your Money Green.)

Sounds great. I like how you're really up and down the fretboard in these. I need to learn that.  :P

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2014, 04:21:16 PM »
Thanks, both of you.

I can't deny a little of Jaybird worming his way in there (and a bunch of other guys, too), but when I first heard it years ago, it seemed to me (and still does) that Pat's point of departure was Scott Dunbar's "44 Blues." That made me go back to it and listen to it a few times... and then back to Pat...  and then I had to just let it steep for a while and it just kinda took off.

Offline CF

« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2014, 11:04:44 AM »
Those were great Frank, Happy Holidays  :)
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2015, 09:53:51 PM »
thanks, CF - same to you!

still in banjo mode...  this is tangentially related to blues

In the car today, I was listening to a recording of Dent Wimmer, a banjo player from SW Virginia, and he played this tune. After he played it (only sang the one verse), he said that he got the tune from the "Smith boys" - three African American brothers that played music and had died some time before this recording of Wimmer was made. "And it was a pretty lonesome old tune the way they sung it. They sung just like they was afraid of something."

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2015, 07:30:47 AM »
This is great. I was just listening the other day to the recordings of Dent Wimmer on Old Originals vol 1. Its cool to hear him and Sam Conner break down their versions of Shooting Creek. Are there any other recordings of Dent out there?

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal