collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
White people have no business playing the blues ever, at all, under any circumstances. Ever, ever, ever. What the f--- do white people have to be blue about? Banana Republic ran out of khakis? - George Carlin

Author Topic: Joel Paterson - "Handful of Strings"  (Read 777 times)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Joel Paterson - "Handful of Strings"
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »
Here's the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Handful-Strings-Joel-Paterson/dp/B00BCSS7UY

"...the best album of its kind since Buddy Merrill left the Lawrence Welk Show..."--Deke Dickerson

Joel also recorded an album of CB in 2000: "Down At The Depot." Out of print, but there are some samples at the AllMusic site:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/down-at-the-depot-mw0001207293

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Joel Paterson - "Handful of Strings"
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 08:33:26 PM »
Hard to discern Stuart but we totally trust your judgement, are you recommending this?  (have not listened as yet)

(later, I get it, this guy is good, a very good Merle Travis appreciator, as I hope to become)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:39:40 PM by Rivers »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Joel Paterson - "Handful of Strings"
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »
Hi Rivers:

It's just a CD that I picked up and enjoy listening to. (I bought The Modern Sounds double CD a couple years ago, along with their 2012 "Sing & Play for You" and enjoy them as well.) Joel--either as part of The Modern Sounds, alone, or as part of other combos--impresses me as a talented guy with a wide range of musical interests. There's a fair amount available on Youtube, so if time allows, you can give a listen. In an interview, he mentions how he played some CB early on and the samples from the "Down At The Depot" CD attest to the fact that he did put in his time learning some of the CB standards. He sounds like the Wisconsin (I believe) guy he is in the samples, but so what? We are who we are.

He, along with his band mates, impress me as people who love the music and take it very seriously (but not themselves)--and really enjoy playing it, keeping it alive and introducing it to new and younger audiences who may not be as aware of it as they are. I noticed that a lot of their work is/are club dates which is great, IMHO, as they are can play this stuff to entertain an audience out for a good time--not necessarily easy when you're a retro band.

And if you decide to take a chance on a CD or two, here's a quote from the Ventrella Records page:

"The ideal place to buy Ventrella products is out of the trunk of a 1997 Honda Civic, but our CDs can be found on cdbaby.com if you are a savvy internet shopper."

I like that image--"Come over here, Son. Give me a minute to get the trunk open. Have I got a deal for you..."

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal