collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn - Charlie Parker

Author Topic: Lemon's piano recordings  (Read 4414 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Lemon's piano recordings
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 05:48:09 PM »
Rivers, talk about "should have expressed myself better".  I really didn't capture my thought process very well at all in my last post. 

I checked the Red Hot Jazz Archive, too.  Should have said that.  My point was really:  Why put Perkins' name on the advertisement if it was a pseudonym and no one would have recognized it?  In that case "with piano" would have worked just as well.  The fact that the ad mentioned "Geo. Perkins" makes me think there was a decent chance that Paramount expected readers to say "Hey, Lemon AND George Perkins.  I'd like to hear that."

I agree we need a piano scholar for this...   

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »
Against all odds this thread is in danger of turning into something quite interesting... surely somebody must know something about George. I thought he sounded a bit Albert Ammons-ish. But what would I know, I'm just  a guitar player.

Perkins - as in Pinetop perhaps??? I must stalk him since he lives and plays around Austin a bit and is very chatty. Maybe a relative??
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:18:57 PM by Rivers »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 04:51:34 AM »
Thinking that Mr. Perkins may have written some music at some point, I checked with ASCAP, BMI, and the United States Copyright Office.  I did not find any likely candidates.

Does anyone have a copy of Alex van der Tuuk's "Paramount's Rise And Fall"?  It's possible that it might shed some light on this question, especially if George Perkins turns out to be some "local" pianist ("local" being the general Milwaukee/Chicago area).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal