collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I write differently from what I speak, I speak differently from what I think, I think differently from the way I ought to think, and so it all proceeds into deepest darkness - Franz Kafka

Author Topic: About pan pipes  (Read 8228 times)

Offline KC King

• Honey, Let me bring my clothes back home!
Re: About pan pipes
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 04:53:36 PM »
 Slack - I should have known you would quote the part I hadn't done spell check on.  :(

That would be very cool if you can look into that. Who knows maybe I could start a business - I could sell them to all the 10 people who want them  ;)
KC (Chris) King

Offline Dave in Tejas

• David Newton Guitars
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 07:00:26 PM »
I live in Beaumont, Tx. The growth I'm speaking of doesn't look like the native stuff, some of it was 2" dia. most smaller of course. I'm sure the old time cane poles were called calcutta, a famous sports shop near me cut it someplace local. This has got me curious, the owner of the field told me I could cut whatever I wanted, I just have to figure out where it was.
I forgot, what was all this about?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 08:00:26 PM »
Slack - I should have known you would quote the part I hadn't done spell check on.  :(

KC, I corrected my quote of your misspelling (hadn't even noticed botanist) - you'll have to correct your own message though...   :P

That would be very cool if you can look into that.

My friends think I'm a little nutty as it is -- so a little American cane, pan pipe, quill hunting expedition won't hurt.

Who knows maybe I could start a business - I could sell them to all the 10 people who want them  ;)

Yes! You could make 10s of dollars!

BackdoorMan

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 02:30:25 AM »
That would be very cool if you can look into that. Who knows maybe I could start a business - I could sell them to all the 10 people who want them  ;)

Thanks for the information, KC. I don't think I'm up to the task of making a set -- not at all handy at that sort of thing. Let me know when you start that business. I'll be your first customer.

BDM

Offline Colin Brooks

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 10:16:50 AM »
There was another man who recorded with pan pipes, and he did it on a commercial recording as late as 1951!  'Baby Please Don't Go' by John Lee on Federal.  Sadly it wasn't issued, but you can find it on Document-5223, Rural Blues Vol. 1. 1934-1956.

John Lee was a really terrific guitarist on the 5 sides he cut with a reso in '51.  Everything from a slide train song to a boogie.  He did an album in the 60's but sadly it's of little interest.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 10:29:25 AM »
Welcome Colin!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 11:37:56 AM »
There was another man who recorded with pan pipes, and he did it on a commercial recording as late as 1951!  'Baby Please Don't Go' by John Lee on Federal.  Sadly it wasn't issued, but you can find it on Document-5223, Rural Blues Vol. 1. 1934-1956.
Welcome and thank you for reminding me about Baby Please Don't Go. It first appeared on the prewar compilation "Barefoot Bill's Hard Luck Blues" (Mamlish S-3812, 1983), I don't know what is said in the Document notes but those to the Mamlish speculate that the pan pipe player may have been John Patterson, an Alabamian recorded by Alan Lomax! The name doesn't appear in B&GR4 nor in Blues Records, the post war equivalent, but that's not to say Lomax didn't record him.

I can't find evidence of a 1960s LP by John Lee but he did record two sessions - Montgomery, Al, 2-3 Oct 1973 & Cambridge, Ma, 5 May 1974 - which were reealsed by Rounder in 1975.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 06:17:45 PM »
OK KC,  this week we are in search of the wild southern cane - that is if I don't get completely distracted by Festival International Louisiane... entirely possible.

http://www.festivalinternational.com (Eat your hearts out, nanny nanny foo foo and all that  :D  Lindy, I hope to run into you - but who knows!?! )

In any case, Saturday afternoon Butch Guchereau is taking us on a swamp tour.  (Butch's site: http://www.cajuncountryswamptours.com/index.html ) I figure if we haven't found any native cane by Saturday, that surely Butch will know where some is and I'll just tell him that you are willing to pay through the nose for it.  :P  A Weenie sticker to anyone who can pronounce Butch's last name.  :P

Poo- yiii!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:20:06 PM by Slack »

Offline KC King

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
Slack -
    See what you can do. I read the line up for the festival.I haven't seen a WO-Music line up that good since WOMAD quit coming to Seattle. Have Fun!
  KC
KC (Chris) King

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 01:02:32 AM »
:P  A Weenie sticker to anyone who can pronounce Butch's last name.  :P

Smith!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline michaelm

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »
Contact Edmond Badoux of Chaskinakuy http://www.chaskinakuy.com/. Along with playing Andean music, he makes and sells panpipes. I saw Dom Flemons of the Carolina Chocolate Drops playing the quills, and he directed me to Badoux. The Chaskinakuy web site has several ways for contacting him. I'm happy with the set I bought.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 11:30:15 AM »
Thanks for the posting that information, Michael. And welcome to Weeniecampbell!

Offline KC King

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 10:38:12 PM »
Hey Gang,
 I just wrote to Edmond Badoux - I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the Info Michaelm!

KC
KC (Chris) King

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 07:32:11 AM »
I've been listening to Sid Hemphill (quills) and Lucius Smith (banjo) playing "Emmaline, Take Your Time" on the Southern Journey Vol 3 61 Highway Mississippi CD. The notes refer to Hemphill using a four-note scale and sure enough photos of Hemphill show him with a set of quills that is only four pipes. He adds an extra note by the rhythmic interjection of vocal whoops.

It's a very pretty minute and a half of music, rather African sounding.

There is a solo recording of Hemphill doing "Emmaline, Take Your Time" on the Deep River of Song: Missississippi, Saints and Sinners CD. It also sounds like four pipes, but at the end of the track, after a brief Lomaxian interview segment, Hemphill plays a couple notes that are higher and not in the four-note scale, then the track ends. Another set of pipes perhaps, tuned higher?

You can hear the pipes and see some photos (not video) at the YouTube link below, which features pipes and drum. He's also shown holding a fife (perhaps responsible the high notes referred to above?).

Just some random quills adventures...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:34:20 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 02:09:40 PM »
It swings!
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags: quills Sid Hemphill 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal