collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
She'd work Son Joe over right on the bandstand, right in front of the audience. Bang, bop, boom, bop! - Johnny Shines on Minnie, The Blues Collection #76

Author Topic: Buddy Moss Discography  (Read 4014 times)

HankChinaski

Buddy Moss Discography
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:42:20 PM »
Aside from a pieces where he acts as a sideman for various other artists, do the three Document CDs coupled with the Atlanta Blues Singer compilation consist of the entire released discography of Buddy Moss?  I am aware that a revival LP was cut, but never released.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Buddy Moss Discography
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 09:43:34 AM »
Hi Hank,
I believe there is a newly released CD of Buddy from the '60s among the new releases of George Mitchell recordings on Fat Possum.  I've not heard it yet but I bet some other Weenies have, and I seem to remember from reviews that it is quite short, less than 30 minutes in running time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 09:57:16 AM »
Aside from a pieces where he acts as a sideman for various other artists, do the three Document CDs coupled with the Atlanta Blues Singer compilation consist of the entire released discography of Buddy Moss?  I am aware that a revival LP was cut, but never released.
I don't think that got past the planning stage. Somewhere I have a cassette that Tony Martin of Revival sent me containing the handful of George Mitchell Moss recordings and other possibles to make up a compilation. Having typed this I've experienced deja vu so it's possible this topic has been raised before. Be that as it may, in the meantime why not marvel at Stefan Wirz's Moss discography. http://www.wirz.de/music/mossfrm.htm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:00:41 AM »
There is indeed a Fat Possum CD of Buddy Moss.  Here's the description from Roots & Rhythm:

BUDDY MOSS     Fat Possum 1052     The George Mitchell Collection     ● CD $9.98
10 tracks, 22 mins, recommended
Buddy Moss was one of the giants of pre-war Piedmont blues. He was rediscovered in the early 60s but unlike many of his contemporaries was not particularly interested in performing or recording again and only recorded a couple of times. These recordings from 1963 (possibly a demo for Delmark) find him, rather incongruously, playing electric guitar. He was obviously out of practice but still sounds pretty good on a selections of remakes of some of his pre-war sides plus other traditional sounding material along with a version of Lowell Fulson's Blues Shadows Falling. (FS)

I haven't heard this CD yet.  Too many Document CDs on sale lately! 

HankChinaski

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 08:51:41 PM »
The lost recordings are now out.  Just when I thought I owned everything, they pull me back in!!!

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 08:24:06 AM »
In case anybody's interested:
In the course of my completing my BM discography I stumbled upon those late (1975-1979) Berea College Celebration of Traditional Music recordings that can be downloaded at the Digital Library of Appalachia
Stefan

Offline CF

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 08:30:20 AM »
I've been listening to & enjoying these. He could still play well in his early-mid sixties & there's some nice tunes. His voice is a bit worn at times but overall these are good recordings . . . & free!
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 09:06:12 AM »

The Digital Library of Appalachia recordings are excellent. Thanks Stefan. Thanks for your whole damn site while I'm at it!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

HankChinaski

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 10:41:10 PM »
In case anybody's interested:
In the course of my completing my BM discography I stumbled upon those late (1975-1979) Berea College Celebration of Traditional Music recordings that can be downloaded at the Digital Library of Appalachia
Stefan

Thank you, Stefan.  The above listed recordings are just wonderful.  Its a shame that more of his late career recordings haven't come to light when it is clear he had so much gas left in the tank.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 11:54:40 PM by HankChinaski »

Offline DCBlack

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 07:14:26 AM »
I'm late to the party having just discovered this site and consequently the Berea College recordings of Buddy Moss which are fantastic.

For Buddy Moss fans, Wolfgang's Vault recently added two of his sets at the 1969 Newport Folk Festival one of which he is backed by Brownie McGee on 2nd guitar.

http://www.concertvault.com/search.html?t=buddy%20moss&tb=0

There's a wealth of other great music at the Vault site, especially Newport Folk Festival and Ash Grove recordings.

Offline ScottN

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 04:44:13 PM »
DCBlack - cool thanks for the tip. Also, when you're on Berea's site, they also now have video footage of Buddy Moss available.

Re: this new audio, it's great stuff. One track has Buddy playing harmonica. Another track has Buddy doing a song I hadn't heard before.  It sounds like Brownie backs him on both sets.

Buddy Moss and Brownie McGhee 7/18/69
1 talk
2 Everyday Seems Like Sunday
3 talk
4 It Will Never Happen No More
5 talk
6 Chesterfield
7 talk
8 unknown title (tell me what's the matter)
9 talk
10 harmonica
11 talk
12 Kansas City

Buddy Moss 7/19/69
1 talk
2 talk
3 Everyday Seems Like Sunday
4 talk
5 Chesterfield
6 talk
7 That Will Never Happen No More

If your not a member of the site they have a 3 day free trial.

Thanks,
           Scott

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal