collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hot dog! People, you know, a gentleman asked me last night what I was doing. I said, 'Well, sir, on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I don't do anything'. He says, 'Well, what do you do on Thursday, Friday and Saturday?' I says, 'Why, I rest'. He says, 'You do anything on Sunday?' 'Oh, yes sir, that's my busiest day'. He says, 'What are you doing on Sunday?' I says, 'Getting ready to do nothing on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday'. Ha-hah! - Uncle Dave Macon, Wouldn't Give Me Sugar in My Coffee

Author Topic: Frank Hutchison discographical question  (Read 2772 times)

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Frank Hutchison discographical question
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:07:51 AM »
Here's a weird one - something I've been wondering about for a while and I was reminded of it by a YouTube video.

There's a recording of Frank Hutchison playing "Wreck of the Old 97" on harmonica and guitar that is not on the Document CD. I have it on an Old Homestead album that came out in the early 1980s called West Virginia Hills (it has other tracks by Bill Cox, Kessingers etc.).

The LP lists this recording as a previously unreleased harmonica number. It's not in Tony Russell's book, but there's also no obvious gap in matrix numbers (a few unissued/rejected numbers are listed). Listening to the track I don't think there's any doubt at all that it's Hutchison. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Here's the track:

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Frank Hutchison discographical question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:01:47 AM »
I emailed Tony and he's come back with this info:

This was overlooked in CMR, but I picked up the omission later, and the
emended text would now read:

Frank Hutchison, h; acc. own g.
New York, NY.                           Friday, January 28, 1927

80350-B   Stackalee                          OK 45106
80351-     The Wild Horse                   OK 45093
80352-     Long Way To Tipperary         OK 45089
80353-     The Gospel Ship                   OK unissued: OH OHCS141 (LP)

Matrix 80353 is erroneously titled The Wreck Of The Old 97 on Old Homestead
OHCS141.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 06:48:48 AM »
I'm not sure I understand. That's Wreck of the Old 97 in the recording. Gospel Ship (the version I know is by the Carter Family) is a different song.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:10:28 AM »
Interesting. Perhaps OKeh mistitled it in the first place and Old Homestead corrected it, 'cause UB is right, that's definitely Old 97 and not Gospel Ship. Alan, thanks for checking with Tony -- seems like we still have a bit of a mystery though!
Chris

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 04:10:07 AM »
This reminds me of the Hutchison disk my great-grandfather made around 1940 or so. Frank played guitar behind him on a few numbers, then played a few banjo tunes. I have a tape copy and the original disc.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »
Frailer-- tell us more about this disk! Who was your great-grandfather (is he playing fiddle on the disk) and how did he know Hutchison? If you share the musical content I would guarantee an appreciative audience here!
Chris

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:02:24 PM »
My great-grandad was Willard Eveland, yes he did play fiddle on the tracks. The most I can say is that, now, the record is nearly unlistenable. I rarely have access to a computer, so I can't upload anything at this time. Great-grandad, from what his son told me, was in West Virginia from "about 1935 until the war broke out." He made friends with quite a few musicians around there, including one of his favorites, Frank Hutchison. From what I can gather, Frank and him met up at a dance one night when there was no guitar player. They remained good friends until Frank's death. When I can, I shall do my best to put a copy up somewhere, as well as transcripton, if needed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:04:22 PM by frailer24 »

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 05:30:42 PM »
I rarely have access to a computer, so I can't upload anything at this time.
Maybe you could (snail) mail it to one of us forum members and one of us could upload it somewhere?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »
My great-grandad was Willard Eveland, yes he did play fiddle on the tracks. The most I can say is that, now, the record is nearly unlistenable. I rarely have access to a computer, so I can't upload anything at this time. Great-grandad, from what his son told me, was in West Virginia from "about 1935 until the war broke out." He made friends with quite a few musicians around there, including one of his favorites, Frank Hutchison. From what I can gather, Frank and him met up at a dance one night when there was no guitar player. They remained good friends until Frank's death. When I can, I shall do my best to put a copy up somewhere, as well as transcripton, if needed.

Very interesting, frailer. Keep us posted. It would sure be great to hear, as Chris says! So was the recording session led by Willard Eveland then? I.e. not a Hutchison session?

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »
As far as my uncle knows, it was just a jam session at the home. When I make another copy of the disc, I will find a way to get it here.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:14:21 PM by frailer24 »

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
Wow Frailer...  that's pretty cool family history there.  I look forward to hearing that session sometime!

~Devin

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 12:08:47 AM »
And, in addition, for any autoharp enthusiasts, Grandad was also Neriah Benfield. When he did get recorded commercially, he always assumed a name and backstory. Never wanted the fame, just to share the music!

Offline alyoung

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 06:08:53 AM »
And, in addition, for any autoharp enthusiasts, Grandad was also Neriah Benfield. When he did get recorded commercially, he always assumed a name and backstory. Never wanted the fame, just to share the music!

I'm sorry, but I have a bit of trouble accepting this claim. I am an autoharper -- probably one of the few on the list (who will admit it anyway) -- and I'm familiar with Neriah Benfield, who seems to have a  fairly solidly documented non-fictional life story ... born in Catawba, Co, NC in 1893, moved to Rowan Co, NC, World War I vet, died in 1983, many other details also known. He didn't have to make up a "backstory" for his commercial recordings as he was never recorded commercially, only by Mike Seeger for Folkways in 1961 (he also played at the Newport folk Festival in 1964; I don't know if this was recorded). He recorded for Seeger on his own and with his son, Kenneth Benfield ... who I guess must be your uncle or your daddy?

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »
Maybe something went wrong in the family history. Grandad only truly documented his life after the second stroke. I was young and my memory is sometimes faulty as well. I do, however remember his son, my uncle, mentioning the Benfields quite a bit. There is no doubt that my  family's harp playing is uncannily similar. And the Hutchison disc is very much a true thing, as I do know my grandad's voice. Nice to see another harper here!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:30:06 PM by frailer24 »

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 04:22:46 AM »
Ok, just started copying the discs. Recording date confirmed as 4/12/1940. Working on the tracklist. On a sidenote, the family history did get garbled a bit. Seems great Grandad was a neighbor to the Benfields growing up, and learned a great deal from them. Apologies to alyoung. Never knew that mis-remembered info could cause so much uncomfortableness.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:40:17 AM by frailer24 »

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 10:07:30 AM »
this is exciting!

Offline alyoung

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 04:40:53 AM »
Ok, just started copying the discs. Recording date confirmed as 4/12/1940. Working on the tracklist. On a sidenote, the family history did get garbled a bit. Seems great Grandad was a neighbor to the Benfields growing up, and learned a great deal from them. Apologies to alyoung. Never knew that mis-remembered info could cause so much uncomfortableness.

Well.... I didn't think I was *that* uncomfortable, but it is a bit awkward when you're challenging someone's information, especially when the challenge is fairly much saying "bill shut!" (or something like that; I may have the vowels wrong) But wrong information can't be allowed to stand, and at least my query got the matter sorted.  Thanks for that. (BTW, although I play a fair bit of diatonic harp today, I started from those old Folkways recordings and that hard-edged driving style of the Benfields et al remains a favorite.) 

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 01:45:52 PM »
No trouble there, Al. I'm glad I got the info correct at last, since in the back of my mind, 1+1 did not add up right to me. I have to get another harp next year, not easy when you haven't played one in 5 years.

Tags: Frank Hutchison 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal