collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I did more for you than you understand, you can tell by the bullet holes, mama, now here in my hand - Peetie Wheatstraw, Ice And Snow Blues

Author Topic: Delta Blues Lessons on Youtube  (Read 1981 times)

Offline blah148

• Ploddings
Delta Blues Lessons on Youtube
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
Hello all,

I've started posting some Delta blues lessons on Youtube.
They include tunes by Charlie Patton, Robert Johnson, Son House and Willie Brown...I've got more coming, too.

Here's the lesson for High Water Everywhere by Charlie Patton:

Thanks for checking them out!  :)

PS: I understand that the members here are a lot more experienced than the average viewer so sorry if the explanations seem a bit basic at times!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:28:36 AM by blah148 »
Delta Blues Lessons: www.youtube.com/blah148 | www.ploddings.com

Epitaph on a blues musician's tombstone: "I didn't wake up this morning"

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: Delta Blues Lessons on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
Hi:

One quick comment. When teaching a song in Spanish, where you have so many duplicated pitch strings (3-Ds and 2-Gs) it might be easier to refer to the strings by number (1-6) rather than pitch.

Alex

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:14:46 PM »
Hi blah148,
One suggestion I would make is to name fret numbers relative to the capo placement.  That way if someone wants to move or get rid of the capo to accommodate a different vocal range than Charlie Patton, the fret number designations that you've given in the lesson will still work.  Naming the fret numbers in an absolute sense only works if the piece is always played capoed to the same place you played it.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline yogi

• yogi
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
Good stuff Blah! I too think you should name the strings by numbers and count the frets from where the capo is.
I love it when people publish lessons like this, sometimes I use them myself and if not, it pleases me that they're made available for people who otherwise wouldn't be aware of the music or how one can actually play it.
Looking forward to more lessons from you!
 /Yogi

Offline blah148

• Ploddings
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »
Thanks for watching and for the input!
I'll definitely start calling the strings by number rather than pitch and take into account the capo, as well. I'll be uploading a lesson on Spoonful Blues tonight, too!  :D
Delta Blues Lessons: www.youtube.com/blah148 | www.ploddings.com

Epitaph on a blues musician's tombstone: "I didn't wake up this morning"

Offline Michael Cardenas

• traditional Blues singer & slide guitarist
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 01:49:29 AM »
I enjoyed the contrabass work on the channel as well, Jaco and Cliff Brown in particular, the Future Blues is fun because you're capable on the bass instrument as well which helps in translating the strong pulls
LISTEN TO BLUES MUSIC

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 06:40:07 AM »
Apologies blah148, sometimes we get off on tangents.  :P  Keep on doing your lesson thing - you've got a good start on it.

I've split and moved the topic to Jam Session - with an off the cuff topic title - which I'll revise if someone can come up with something better.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »
Hi Blah:

I agree--after watching a couple of your videos I'd say that you're definitely off to a good start. You're probably going to have to tighten up the explanations a bit, perhaps by having a guitar playing friend "proofread" them, pointing out places where they might be unclear and where you stumble a bit  before they go up on YT. We tend to be our own worst proofreaders, if only because our mind tends to fill in as well as compensate for our shortcomings. Obviously, you're sharing what you know at this point with others who want to learn, and not releasing the ultimate final and polished version of a commercial product, but there's always room for improvement and refinement. And don't mistake critical evaluation for personal negative criticism--there's a big difference. Our critics are our best friends.

Tags: Robert Johnson 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal