collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You know if I don't go crazy, God knows, I believe I'"m gonna lose my mind. - Hammie Nixon, Yellow Yam Blues

Author Topic: The Girl I Love...  (Read 26880 times)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: The Girl I Love...
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2008, 01:14:11 AM »
And the hits keep on comin' ......
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2008, 06:53:18 AM »
More fun! I agree, great tune, nice choice! Nice demo of Sheiks-style accompaniment, too, although as usual I think Kim gets the hard part.

Plus, expressive eyebrow moves from Frankie!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2008, 01:52:51 PM »
although as usual I think Kim gets the hard part.

I'm not complaining...

Thanks, guys!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
Voil? Viola Lee Blues:

And from samjessin's channel - Sunset Waltz...  played at sunset, on the dock:

thanks for watching!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2008, 01:11:17 AM »
Thanks again Kim, Frankie and Sam.  It just keeps getting better!  Let me know if you decide to tour the UK.
Barbecue Bob

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2008, 05:07:45 AM »
Great stuff again, guys! Congratulations!

I really liked Sunset Waltz, what a beautiful song.

Cheers

Pan

Offline 67rene

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2008, 10:36:54 AM »
Frank & Sam , I really love what you are doing and the videos are still getting better.
Please keep them coming !
Mandolins&Blues

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
PP - if you can organize a tour of English farmer's markets, we're in!

I have a soft spot for Sunset Waltz, myself - Pan, I don't know if you're heard the original recording, but I ended up re-harmonizing it more than a bit...  the chords I ended up with still aren't what you'd call "right," but are consistent with the way that Walter Vinson harmonized similar tunes.  It was an interesting way to use their own musical language on their own turf, so to speak.

Rene - thanks.  I love playing with Sam, but the heart of the whole thing for me is Kim's fiddle.  Without it, I don't think I'd even bother!  We'll have to seek out some better lighting situations - I'm getting all cross-eyed trying to watch some of these...  it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2008, 02:27:08 AM »

I have a soft spot for Sunset Waltz, myself - Pan, I don't know if you're heard the original recording, but I ended up re-harmonizing it more than a bit...  the chords I ended up with still aren't what you'd call "right," but are consistent with the way that Walter Vinson harmonized similar tunes.  It was an interesting way to use their own musical language on their own turf, so to speak.

I actually listened to snippet of the original on CD universe, and noticed that you had reworked the harmony. In my opinion you guys do a beatiful job with it, so again, mes compliments au chefs!  :)
I am tempted to do some stealing, though...  :P

FWIW, here is the sample I mentioned: http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1021698/a/Charlie+Mccoy+(1928-32).htm

Pan

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »
Somehow I missed this one, since frankie didn't post it, but here's a too-cool version of Peg Leg Howell's Coal Man Blues. I love this, relentless, weird, deadpan, in the zone, plus toilet-seat fretboard. I'm jealous...

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2008, 01:09:46 AM »
Coal Man Blues has been one of my favourites since I got the Rural Blues box set way back in the 1960s and Frankie does a superb version of it here.

The more I see of these videos, the more I think that Frankie has an enormous talent.  Like our own Roger Hubbard over here in the UK, not only has he got the technical side sorted out, he has that vital extra something you cannot learn - an inate feel for the music.  I rate him among the best I've ever seen.

It's about time Frankie and pals put out a DVD (having seen the videos, a CD/LP would not seem enough somehow).
Barbecue Bob

Offline samjessin

• Bluegrass and Old-Time Time
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »
Did I hear wind of an LP?

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2008, 02:23:27 AM »
Did I hear wind of an LP?

Go on, Sam - give Frankie a sharp nudge with your mandolin (preferably the metal job).
Barbecue Bob

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2008, 08:58:36 PM »
Parlor Picker, thanks for the very kind compliment on my playing - even my mom doesn't have anything that nice to say about me!

Here's something Kim and I just had to get out of our collective system this weekend - maybe you'll enjoy it:

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2008, 08:40:13 AM »
That is neat on a lot of levels. It really works in B flat, almost forces you to keep it sparse and uncluttered. The change to the D chord in 1st position sounds like a million bucks, very satisfying voicing. The IV chord Eb, that's a great way to do it with the top string fretted like that. Love the moving bass line, that really sets off the guitar part.

Tell me, did you do it in that key because it works well with the violin? Or were you influenced by something? Sounds really Mississippi Sheiks-ish.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:42:44 AM by Rivers »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal