collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The future ain't what it used to be - Yogi Berra

Author Topic: "Uncle Lionel" Batiste passes  (Read 974 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
"Uncle Lionel" Batiste passes
« on: July 17, 2012, 08:34:06 AM »

A large number of second line parades today are done for tourists or for shut-ins who belong to Social Aid and Pleasure clubs. But every once in a while someone in the inner circle of New Orleans jazz gets honored with a heartfelt send-off done the right way. What a great tradition, there's nothing like a New Orleans jazz funeral.

The last time I chatted with Uncle Lionel -- and that club has an enormous international membership -- he was dressed head-to-toe in a purple suit and bowler hat. With a walking stick. Three a.m. on a steamy early summer night on Frenchmen St., lots of tourists loudly stumbling down the sidewalk, Mr. Batiste just kind of gliding through it all, giving a wordless lesson on style and cool.

Nicely written story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/us/new-orleans-celebrates-life-of-lionel-batiste.html?hp

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
Re: "Uncle Lionel" Batiste passes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 04:24:52 AM »
Yes, really nice story.  Thanks for posting it Lindy, I wonder if any of this will show up on youtube.

Mike

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: "Uncle Lionel" Batiste passes
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
An example of how they do things in New Orleans:

CHRIS GRANGER / THE TIMES-PICAYUNE The body of Lionel Batiste is embalmed and propped up against a pole during his wake on Thursday, July 19, 2012 at Charbonnet-Labat Funeral Home in New Orleans.

CHRIS GRANGER / THE TIMES-PICAYUNE Wearing rings, a band leaders whistle, and his signature cane in the hands of musician Lionel Batiste. His body was embalmed and propped up against a pole during his wake on Thursday, July 19, 2012 at Charbonnet-Labat Funeral Home in New Orleans.

You can see other photos of the wake at http://photos.nola.com/tpphotos/2012/07/wake_held_for_lionel_batiste_9.html
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:41:59 PM by Slack »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal