collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A lot of people think Elmore James wrote this song. My vote goes to Robert Johnson because he recorded it when Elmore was 12 - Chris Smither introducing Dust My Broom

Linked Events

• Bro-Jug and the Little Bros - Brooklyn Rod &: July 15, 2011 - April 29, 2011

Author Topic: Bro-Jug and the Little Bros - Brooklyn Rod & Gun  (Read 1482 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Bro-Jug and the Little Bros - Brooklyn Rod & Gun
« on: April 05, 2011, 04:01:17 AM »
Brotherhood of the Jug Band Blues
the Little Brothers

Brooklyn Rod & Gun
59 Kent Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211

July 15 - 8:30 to 11:30

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Bro-Jug and the Little Bros - Brooklyn Rod & Gun
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:07:24 AM »
bumping for tonight...  John Miller in the house! Woo hoo!!!!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
That spells trouble at the Gun Club.

Lucky!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
Hi all,
Pan asked over in "The Girl I Love" thread for some details on this performance, so I will add as much as I can remember.  First, it was such a treat to play with Frank and Kim, to second such a fine guitarist and singer and back Kim's great fiddling and singing.  The material they were doing was terrific and in most instances not songs I already play, which made it all the more fun.  Frank had suggested about a week prior to the gig that we work out Lottie Kimbrough's "Red River Blues", so when we got together that was one of the first things we did.  At the show, we opened with "Stop and Listen", with Frank playing in Dropped D and me playing in D standard, kind of an interesting set-up.  Then we did "Red River Blues".  We also did the Sheiks' "Jailbird's Love Song", with both of us playing it in F.  Ma Rainey's "Jealous Hearted Blues" had Frank playing low-tuned out of D and me playing out of B in standard tuning.  "I'm Wild About My Daddy" from the Little Brothers CD and Ma Rainey was sung so sweetly by Kim.  We also did "Mama's Angel Child" to close the set.  We did a Sheiks instrumental that I'm unable to remember the title of.  Kim sang "Bumble Bee" with Frank low-tuned in G and me playing in E position, standard tuning.  I feel sure I'm forgetting some of the songs we did, but maybe Frank can fill in the rest of the set.
It was my first opportunity to check out the current NYC/Brooklyn Country Blues scene and it was a lot of fun.  The most fun for me though, was hanging out and playing with such ace musicians and great people and enjoying the great extent to which things were just being winged.  I look forward to my next opportunity to do it again.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:27:13 AM »
Thanks for the report John. Sounds like you guys had a great evening with wonderful music! Wish I could have been there!

Cheers

Pan

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
I can only say that I'm very, very lucky to get to play with some of my musical heroes, that's for sure. John is an ace his own self, and you couldn't ask for a more sympathetic accompanist...  and never prettying it up, either...  good and dirty! That accompaniment in B for Jealous Hearted Blues was fabulous - it all was... I think we also played "He Calls That Religion," and the name of the instrumental was "That's It." I think there were a couple others, but can't recall. All in all, it was a great party for Ernesto, the "leader" of the Brotherhood of the Jug Band Blues (if they have one - I'm sure no one would own up to it!). Bro-Jug turned in a great set of originals and traditional tunes - they have a great way of getting people's asses out of their seats while just being themselves - no BS. The Whiskey Spitters is the Jalopy house band - they also turned in a great set of country blues and old time...  some Mississippi Sheiks, some Leake County Revelers.  Their bowed bass really added a lot to their sound.

The best part of the night for me was the crowd - totally in it with us, dancing, hooting and hollering after every salacious line of New Bumble Bee...  it's nice to be listened to, but I'd rather be heard, if you know what I mean, and they really heard us at the Rod & Gun. Kim and John totally played their asses off. I can't believe that I get to hang with musicians like them!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal