collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I love my baby like a cow loves to chaw her cud, but that fool moved off and left me, she done moved to the piney woods - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Piney Woods Money Mama

Author Topic: famous hokum boys music  (Read 5007 times)

Offline CF

Re: famous hokum boys music
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 06:26:12 PM »
I have some Hokum Boys stuff & if memory serves me their versions of 'Gambler's Blues (St. James Infirmary)' are good & worth checking out. I'll give what else I have a listen.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 07:09:26 PM »
I need a bit more time to put the list together, Famous Hokum Boys and Hokum Boys have separate entries in B&GR, which adds up to quite a bit more than I thought. Will put it together over a few days. Broonzy & Brasswell played in both named groups on various sessions. Seems like it was a convenient throw-away band name when various people got together.

Why yes, thanks, the curry was delicious!

Cooljack

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 04:50:30 AM »
I can understand why you would dislike the Hokum Boys though Im sticking with my opinion, I really enjoy the Document CD I have of their material. Although the hokum they play isn't anywhere near as sophisticated as say Papa Charlie Jackson there is alot worse out there.

"'The Hokum Boys' was a brand name, used by any record company which considered that it fitted the product. As well as the material considered here [The Hokum Boys DOCD-5236; The Hokum Boys and Bob Robinson DOCD-5237], there were Hokum Boys records by Georgia Tom and Tampa Red, one side by Blind Blake, and titles with Big Bill Broonzy as the featured artist. These are considered under the respective artist entries; the Famous Hokum Boys also have their own entry."

I didn't realise this, though it makes sense. I don't really know much about their background as I got the album I have through emusic as it was out of print last time I checked the document website which basically means I forfitted the notes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 04:57:43 AM by Cooljack »

Offline CF

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 06:05:09 AM »
I listened to what I have of the Hokum Boys last night & I enjoyed some of it but much of it was forgettable, for me. 'Selling that stuff' 'stuff you sell' etc pretty mundane, Bob Robinson's vaudeville style both pleasing & dated-sounding. Good when it's good & very average otherwise . . . some nice playing on select tracks tho'. I'm wondering who the Blind Blake-sounding player is on some of the tunes? Could it be Blake? I know he did 'I Was Afraid of That P.2' but did he do any more work as a Hokum Boy? Now the Famous Hokum Boys, that's a different kettle of fish altogether. Those guitar instrumentals are really good. Broonzy was a monster. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:39:39 AM by cheapfeet »

Offline Minnesota Dave

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 06:35:55 AM »
Speaking of hokum, a book I'm reading mentions "It's Tight Like That" by Tampa Red and Georgia Tom as being an important piece of music in that style, and a precursor to the urban blues. I checked my tunes this morning and I don't own that song (though I do currently own "Tight Like This" by Louis Armstrong who recorded his version three months later). So, looks like I need some more Tampa Red. Disc one of the Document series has two versions of the song, so that's what I'm going for 'less you guys tell me different.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:21:37 AM by Minnesota Dave »

Cooljack

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 07:18:41 AM »
I don't have "Tight Like that" either, just the covers (Loose like that by the mississippi sheiks is good has a nice little monologue on the front) I read somewhere, or atleast I think I did that Tight Like that was the first hokum recording, I'd consider it the first hit instead as that would make more sense. Though it is a pretty upfront song.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 07:54:26 AM »
I'm wondering who the Blind Blake-sounding player is on some of the tunes? Could it be Blake? I know he did 'You Can't Do That P.2' but did he do any more work as a Hokum Boy? 

B&GR only identifies Blake on the following: Hokum Boys, I Was Afraid Of That Part II. No sessions with the Famous HBs.

Let me know which songs you're interested in and I can tell you who's playing guitar.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:56:28 AM by Rivers »

Offline dave stott

• Howdy!
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 03:59:10 AM »
for the record:

I am just as much a fanatic of Blind Boy Fuller as I am Big Bill Broonzy....

there is usually one of these artists music playing in my CD or MP3 player at all times...

: -)

Dave

Offline CF

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 06:38:48 AM »
Hey River I've checked my Penguin Guide To Blues & it seems there are some 'unknown' musicians on the Hokum records. The songs I'm curious about are 'Put Your Mind On It', 'I Was Afraid of That Pt.1', 'Ain't Goin' That Way', 'You Can't Get Enough of That Stuff' & etc . . . some good guitar picking on those tunes.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »
Hi all,
I don't have personnel matched up with the tunes in question, but I know that Banjo Ikey Robinson, who was mentioned earlier in this thread as appearing on some Hokum Boys recordings, was an excellent and very sophisticated guitarist.
all best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
B&GR sez:

Put Your Mind On It, I Was Afraid of That Pt.1 and You Can't Get Enough of That Stuff: Dan Roberts, v/g; Alex Robinson, v/g; Alex Hill, v/p. All recorded on the same session.

They note that the personnel info is somewhat unreliable.

Ain't Goin' That Way, Bob Robinson, cl; Jimmy Blythe, p/v; Bob Alexander, g/v

They also note that Alex Robinson and Bob Robinson may be the same person.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal