collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
They put white liquor at the back of the corn pile. If they put it at the front, nobody would go through the corn - John Dee Holeman, Port Townsend 98

Author Topic: Skoodle Dum Doo & Sheffield--"Broome Street Blues"  (Read 896 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Skoodle Dum Doo & Sheffield--"Broome Street Blues"
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:32:35 AM »
Hi all,
Skoodle Dum Doo & Sheffield recorded "Broome Street Blues" at their one session, in Newark, New Jersey in 1943.  Their other three titles have been transcribed elsewhere on this site--you can find out where via the tags.  For "Broome Street Blues", both musicians were playing guitar, as opposed to their other titles, which were guitar/harmonica duets.  The song is played out of C position in standard tuning by both guitarists, and the seconding guitarist, probably Sheffield, backs the lead guitarist with strumming in "straight fours", strumming four chords per measure.  Unfortunately, he has a hard time keeping track of where he is in the form, so that the duo is often playing to different places in the form simultaneously.  Here is the track--you'll see what I mean.

INTRO SOLO

This morning when I woke up, Broome Street Blues 'round my bed
This morning when I woke up, Broome Street Blues 'round my bed
I was thinkin' about my baby so hard, it hurt my weary head

My best gal have left me, and she won't be back no more
My best gal have left me, and she won't be back no more
She may be back in the winter, but she won't be back before (Spoken: I hear you, man, I hear you, play it!)

I've got the Broome Street Blues, I been sweepin' all over town (Spoken: I b'lieve you, boy)
I've got the Broome Street Blues, I been sweepin' all over town
I done swept up the gal I love, now, I b'lieve I'll settle down

SOLO

That little bow-legged gal of mine, she don't want no messin' 'round

SOLO

All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal