collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you don't understand it, don't mess with it - Louis Armstrong

Author Topic: Wax's YouTube Channel  (Read 3728 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Wax's YouTube Channel
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:51:45 AM »
Finally, I'm getting my shit together. Managed to get some half decent footage from my CD release concert a few months back. Sound was pretty tough due to high ceiling and cement floor, but you get the general idea. Here's the link to my new channel:   http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn  and here's my take on the ever controversial Down the Dirt Road Blues. Hey, that's how I hear them.-G-

All live performances on my channel.

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:17:45 AM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Mike Brosnan

Re: Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:37:57 AM »
Woo Hoo!  More Weenies on the tube!  Excellent as always Wax!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:01:28 AM »
Cool!  Thanks for putting these up.  There are some really nice performances there.  Got any more?

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:42:10 AM »
Excellent Work Wax...Love the tone you get from your guitars...and the passion in put into your music comes through in your Voice!!

Can't wait to see more!

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »
Very nice, wax!  The video (by youtube stantards) was clear and your voice was nice and gravel-ly, Patton style .. making my little laptop speakers buzz ..and you sure give the little Stella a workout!   ..   thanks for posting, Tom

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
Well done, John. You nailed it. Great guitar work and vocals. Getting close to CP isn't easy, to say the least.

I wouldn't give a second thought to your choice of lyrics when you're performing in a concert setting or when just playing for others. Let such controversies be reserved for where they belong - on the controversial lyrics forum here at WC.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 01:22:44 AM »
Don't worry Stuart, that was just a little joke for UB.

Thanks much for the encouragement folks. A little nerve racking putting live performances up. Not like you can edit out the clams and train wrecks and flubbed lyrics. I guess I think it's important to show what a real performance might be like. Hopefully as I get more experience playing in front of an audience there will be a positive progression visible through video documentation. Sure is a learning experience.

I'll get one more up tomorrow (Mississippi Blues, 'cause of the discussion over on the Woodshed) but then none for a while. [edit] Okay, it's up now. Here's the link to my channel again:

Check out the other vids if you haven't already.

Thanks again for the support.

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:59:49 AM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 06:54:06 AM »

That's right, he'd be OK if he didn't screw up the lyrics.

Congrats on getting your shit together, Wax.  :D Did you get a take of Avalon Blues?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 07:48:48 AM »

Yes Congrats on the YouTube page Wax -- great seeing you in a club setting.  Performing solo is not for wimps! :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:52:00 AM by Slack »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 08:03:30 AM »
Congratulations! Looks and sounds great. I'll be back for more.

Cheers

Pan

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 03:26:12 PM »
Nice playin' on Sporttin' life (others too) there Wax. What was the venue?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »

Now I can put my worried mind at ease! One of these days--if I ever get my shit together--I might post a piece regarding how there is no contradiction or inconsistency between being really tight minded and using the highest standards of accuracy and precision when transcribing the lyrics and guitar playing (or other instruments) of a song (in our role as custodians of culture) and being looser and using artistic license and personal interpretation when playing or perfroming the same song--in other words, bringing part of yourself to the song and making it your own.

Here at WC an understanding of this seems to go without saying, but occasionally threads surface on some of the other boards that assume that these two aspects are mutually exclusive.

In any event, I'm glad to see that you're having fun playing the music that you love and doing an excellent job of carrying on a living tradition as a performer, and at the same time doing the difficult work that goes with being a custodian of culture.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 11:01:35 AM »
I'd say anyone who performs in front of an audience is putting a whole lot of their heart into it regardless of the intellectual source of the material, Stuart. Thanks for the encouragement to go down my own particular path.

The venue was the 33 Revolutions Cafe, Mr. OMuck, a new music oriented cafe in El Cerrito, a town just on the other side of Albany from Berzerkeley as you head north on the East side of the Bay. It's right on the infamous San Pablo Avenue, which stretches from Oakland all the way up the Bay to Crockett past such places as the Freight and Salvage (soon to move to Berkeley's "Art Ghetto"), Ashkenaz and other famous venues. Just a few blocks further up in El Cerrito is the Down Home Music store and the home of Arhoolie Records. As you can see from the web site, it is also a vinyl record store and Dave even has a few '60s era guitars on the wall for sale. Cool place and I hope to play there again soon. BTW all the videos are from the same gig we just moved the camera to the other side of the stage for the second set.

I did Avalon Blues on the 12 string, UB, and my notes indicate it wasn't one of the better selections, but I'll give it another look. The folks who did the video are out of town for a few weeks and any selections I make have to be digitized and compressed for youtube, so it'll be a while. I might try to put up something with the Style O like Fuller's Screamin' and Cryin', too.

Thanks for your continued encouragement, folks.

All for now.
John C.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:03:21 AM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 08:31:14 AM »
I agree 100%, John. My point exactly. I'm probably reacting to some of the posts that I've seen on other boards over the years and in the process preaching to the choir.

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 07:48:04 AM »

Great stuff, John! Congrats.

Offline git-fiddle

• Slide ON.
    • Darrenscottjohnston.com
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 09:06:32 AM »
 O0

SUPER stuff Waxwing! I subscribed. I will try and pick up your CD soon. I hope to get my chops up to the point where I get start posting preformance stuff as well... Anyway yes ''Virginia''  the blues DOES live!
''...My road is rough and rocky on my way...'' Cryin' Sam Collins.

Tags: Waxwing John 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal