collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I told a white fellow once, "If you were black for one Saturday night and on Beale Street, never would you want to be white again" - Rufus Thomas

Author Topic: International or "World" music close to Home  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
International or "World" music close to Home
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:04:42 PM »
At the same time that White Folkies like Pete Seeger were discovering the Blues of Leadbelly (don't laugh, he could play 'em better than any of you) and others, were collecting "Folksongs" from all around the World. Paul Robeson had done this earlier, presenting the music of people from quite diverse geographical, ethnic and cultural regions, in an effort to promote the idea of universal brother (and sister)hood. Recently some folks we know have been marching in their footsteps in an exploration of music often recorded on 78's at the same time as the Blues we know and love, which we must remember, was up until the last 30 years or so about as obscure as could be. Some of them have begun exploring their own ethnic roots, like this fellow, playing a great Italian ballad:
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Longsands

• Howdy!
Re: International or "World" music close to Home
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:25:50 AM »
This reminded me of an article I was reading the other day, by the author of a new book about Paul Robeson?s time in Wales ? a story I hadn?t been aware of:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jul/02/how-paul-robeson-found-political-voice-in-welsh-valleys
I enjoyed the Italian clip, by the way.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 01:10:26 AM »
Of course, Fraulini guitars come with all these Italian songs pre-installed. Nice work frankie!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:20:15 AM »
It's always a treat to hear what Frank is working on.  Thanks for posting that, Phil.
all best,
Johnm

Tags: Frankie 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal