collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Bill's a great promoter...instead o' voting once, the fool voted twice - Pink Anderson, does Jimmie Rodgers, He's in the Jailhouse Now

Author Topic: New music from Alvin Youngblood Hart  (Read 1415 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
New music from Alvin Youngblood Hart
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:41:38 PM »
I haven't seen this mentioned here yet, but Alvin has done the soundtrack to the movie The Great Debaters (a Denzel Washington flick). Numerous tunes featuring him and the Carolina Chocolate Drops. You can listen to samples at amazon or at the movie website www.thegreatdebatersmovie.com. WARNING- the movie website is one of those over-designed evil freakin' sites with flash, active-x, etc up the wazoo and wreaked havoc with both Firefox and IE for me. Damn web designers.

Anyways, Alvin and Co. do numerous familiar tunes on this, including I've Got Blood In My Eyes for You (Sheiks), Step It Up and Go (you name it), It's Tight Like That, Busy Bootin', Nobody's Fault But Mine, How Long Before I Change My Clothes...

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: New music from Alvin Youngblood Hart
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 01:10:18 AM »
That sounds interesting.  It sort of reminds me of how excited I was back in the 60s or 70s when Taj Mahal provided the music for and appeared in the film "Sounder".
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:58:47 AM »
I just ordered the disc! It looks great! Hart is the best country blues player alive today, in my opinion. The reason for this is because his voice actually sounds like that of a player from the 20's + his original acoustic blues compositions (example: "Them Fair Weather Friends", "Big Mama's Door") sound like they were recorded in 1929 on Paramount Records. Can't wait to hear this stuff! (even if he is doing "How Long Before I Can Change My Clothes" for the 4th time, I think)
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline doctorpep

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »
I think the soundtrack is pretty good. I especially enjoy "Busy Bootin'" and "I'm Gonna Run to the City of Refuge". I could have really done without another version of "Step It Up and Go". What does everyone think of the album?
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal