collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Cain killed Abel, but I wasn't going to let that cane kill me - Emmett Murray, on quitting his job in the sugar cane fields, notes to Drop On Down in Florida

Author Topic: 1930 Gibson L-4  (Read 1515 times)

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
1930 Gibson L-4
« on: July 27, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »
I've had this guitar on loan from a friend in Memphis for about six months now - it's a 1930 Gibson L-4 body with a Martin neck stuck on it.  Whoever put these two together did a horrible job, and the thing is practically unplayble.  (Note the nail in the top to keep the bridge from moving, which it wants to do because the neck is on crooked...)  Anyway, I came into a small sum of money last week, and my wife agreed to let me hang onto enough to pay Michael Gillentine of Main Street Vintage Guitars in Tupelo, MS to make a repro Gibson neck and put it back together right.  I made a deal with the guitar's owner to build two banjo necks for him in trade for the guitar.  Then my wife and I went down to Tupelo last Saturday (it's about a two hour drive from Memphis) and made a day of it.  Micheal and his brother have an awesome retail space/shop, and we all had a good long talk about the guitar, vintage cars, etc.  He says the guitar would be ready in three weeks, which is a heck of a lot faster than I work - Bob will be lucky to get the first banjo neck in three months, but then he's not in a hurry...

Here are the before photos

I'll post some after photos when I pick it up.

Here's a link to Main Street Vintage Guitars, for which I highly recommend at least a virtual visit...

http://www.pwogs.com/

Three weeks now seems soooOOOoo far away.  I'm going to miss playing my Lowden at gigs, but this Gibson is going to be so much more period authentic and yes, I confess, cooler looking, for what the Side Street Steppers do.

Offline sustaireblues

Re: 1930 Gibson L-4
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »
Very cool indeed, I love round-hole archtops!
Be sure and post pics when you get it back.

Joe

Offline MuddyBuddy

• Bert Deivert - blues mandolin
    • Bert Deivert - blues mandolin
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:09:24 AM »
I have a 1932 L-4 and love it!   Enjoy the guitar!

Cheers
Bert

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:25:53 AM »
That's a great thing to do, putting it back to it's former glory. I had one of these in my care for a while, loved it. Three weeks! wow, that is some service. But he's probably just as passionate about getting it right. Good on you.  Plus you'll have a nice story to go with it.

Offline fox-guitars

• Fox Guitars
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 05:27:49 AM »
I often wonder what goes through people's minds when they do stuff like this. Glad you are going to restore it.
Please visit www.fox-guitars.com Cool guitar history. New vintage guitars, repair & restoration, and much more.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal