collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When you come to my workshop, it's going to be, 'Baby, meet me with your black drawers OFF' - Carl Rutherford, Port Townsend 98

Author Topic: You See Me Laughin'  (Read 2374 times)

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
You See Me Laughin'
« on: December 03, 2004, 04:41:05 PM »
So I finally get a chance to eat lunch, plop down on the chair, turn on the tube, switch to my favorite channel and damn if T-Model Ford flashes on the screen, then Asie Payton, then Junior Kimbrough and R.L. Burnside. I've never heard of this documentary but it is about Mississippi bluesmen and Fat Possum Records.
It was on IFC (Independent Film Channel) and hopefully it is their current rotation and it will play again since I only saw half. It isn't neccesarily Country Blues but it was interesting to see how these guys lived and how some worked, Asie Payton would only record when he couldn't drive his tractor. Cameos included Bono (didn't see him) and Iggy Pop who had Junior Kimbrough open 10 shows.

[edit]
It's on Saturday morning at 7 AM PST on IFC again.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 06:01:37 PM by NotRevGDavis »
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: You See Me Laughin'
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:04:48 PM »
I just saw this documentary and have to say it's pretty great. Not all the music is necessarily my favorite kind of blues stuff, though R.L. is always a groove machine. But it's just a great peek into the lives of some these blues players that have been recorded by Fat Possum. Some hair-raising stories in there, whether it's Cedell Davis explaining how first he got typhoid, then polio, lost most of the use of his hands and started playing with a butter knife, then got trampled in a bar brawl and crippled, confined to a wheelchair. Or T-Model Ford, who begins the documentary by saying "I ain't never had the blues. I play the blues, but I ain't never had 'em", telling the story of his dad whupping him so bad one of his testicles detached -- "Never did find out what happened to that nut. But it's the only thing wrong with me!" (!!) This is real reality television, fellars. Bono is in there only briefly and mercifully is down to earth. One of the Fat Possum guys talks about Junior Kimbrough touring with Iggy Pop and quotes Junior, who made up his own name for Iggy, "That Lolly Pop is crazy!"

There's actually a huge amount of quotable material in the film, and most of the film focuses on the bluesmen, not the pop stars. (I noticed in the credits they thank Jerry Seinfeld. There's just some strange stuff in this film.)

Highly recommended. You can get it through Netflix if you do that thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal