collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We used to go to different people's houses, you know. In those days I mean they could hear music and - if somebody could play an instrument, man, they would get up at night, from one o'clock; and they'd fix food and they'd have drinks and they'd stay up till five, six o'clock in the morning and give you money. It wasn't a dance but a serenade; we'd go from house to house. In those days there wasn't too much things like juke boxes, high fidelity sound, wasn't nothing like that then; and whenever somebody could play and could play well, he was considered as somebody; he could go anywhere and he had it made, you know? - Baby Doo Caston, on playing music in Natchez in the 1920s, interview with Jeff Todd Titon

Author Topic: 12-String for Blues & Rags ??  (Read 4843 times)

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
12-String for Blues & Rags ??
« on: October 09, 2006, 07:06:56 AM »
You guys have an awful lot of experience between you and I know there are a number of 12-string players out there. As I am considering a 12-string I thought I'd ask the question:

Which 12-string would you recommend for fingerpicking (blues and rags) and why ?

Cheers and thanks

Steve
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/
www.weeniecampbell.com

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: 12-String for Blues & Rags ??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 08:31:30 AM »
Since you haven't mention price as a consideration, I would recommend going for an old (1920's) Oscar Schmidt 12 with a long scale, either a Stella or a mahogany Sovereign. If it is really the sound you are after these babies have it. Heck, they created it. I have a Sov, and what is usually striking to others who play it is that, tuned down to about B, the two strings of each course do not sound like two strings, one low and one high, but more like one complex string. Of course, to play these wide, long fretboards, one needs a somewhat large hand, but with a good set-up, they are not hard to play after some getting used to.

Far more available, and somewhat less expensive, are the great replicas by Todd Cambio at Fraulini. I have only played one of his early tailpiece models, but that had quite a sound, very similar to the old Stellas I have played. I have spoken to Paul Geremia and others who own Fraulini 12s and they are very satisfied customers.

I would highly recommend getting a pin bridge as opposed to a tailpiece, as I think the stronger connection to, and tensioning of the top gives much better tone and volume. Personally, I like the 6 pin bridge. When restringing, I remove all strings so that I can get my hand inside and make sure each pair of string balls is correctly seated under its pin before stringing the head and tensioning.

I know that Mike Hauver is also making Oscar Schmidt replicas, but I have never heard or played one of his guitars. You can learn more about them thru Neil Harpe's stellaguitars.com site, where you're probably already headed.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:05:02 AM »
Steve -

When you say for playing blues and rags, do you intend to tune down like Willie McTell or Leadbelly to C, B or even A? Is that the sound you're looking for? Then I'd say wax's advice is on the money (which you'll need a lot of if you're able to find a real OS Stella 12). One other budget option is to buy a cheap Harmony Stella 12 from the 1960s to see how you like the whole routine, tuned down, big neck, different playing approach etc. Then if you like it, spend the $$$. Or you may just like the Harmony and stick with it.

Offline harpe

• Stella Guitars
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 04:37:01 AM »
Mike Hauver was mentioned in regard to new 12-strings made in the style of the old Stellas. Naturally, I have "test driven" some of these. They are really close to the originals in construction, appearance and sound. Recently, he has produced an ebony finish "Gambler" model with "playing cards" decals. Copied from original "Gambler" decals on a 1930s Stella Gambler, I created the original drawings for the "card suites" decals Mike is using on his "Gambler clone."

I have been discussing another project with Mike: to build a prototype "Holzapfel 12-string clone". I own one of these. They were made in Baltimore in the early part of the 20th century. Holzapfel 12-string guitars are more scarce than even Stellas. Perhaps 200 were ever made - perhaps less than that. A Holzapfel 12-string is sort of like a big Stella-12 on steroids!

BTW...In case any Weenies out there are looking to own "the real deal", I have an original long scale Oscar Schmidt Stella jumbo 12-string (not yet listed on my web site). It was formerly owned by Paul Geremia. With a spruce top, oak body and "souped up" by Paul, this thing is amazing. Email if interested. ($5800 firm).

Neil Harpe

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal