collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I've been fired from lots of jobs but I ain't never missed a meal - Eddie Pennington

Author Topic: Son House Bio at Elderly  (Read 4616 times)

Offline jaycee

Re: Son House Bio at Elderly
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 09:57:37 AM »
just checked the amazon u.k. site. the book isn't published in the u.k. till september. and its priced at ?15.19p. you can obviously pre order if you feel the need to.
jaycee

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 02:10:46 PM »
Just got an email from Amazon saying that the Son House book and the new Mississippi John Hurt book both shipped today.

Offline jostber

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 08:42:21 AM »

Offline MuddyBuddy

• Bert Deivert - blues mandolin
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
Got mine yesterday here in Sweden! leafed through it and will start reading tomorrow...
 :D

Cheers
BERT

Offline jostber

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 01:44:27 PM »
Got it on order myself together with MJ Hurt book!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 05:26:24 AM »
Brief review at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/review/R2M24F5ZEIAX40

Will keep an on on Ron's blog for his lengthier review.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 05:26:48 AM »
One of Weinstock's criticisms is that Preachin' The Blues contains "no discography of Son's recordings including CD releases".  But Daniel Beaumont does point the reader to Stefan Wirz's discography, once in a footnote and in the bibliography.

By the way, Philip Ratcliffe's John Hurt biography also lists Stefan as a resource, in the Acknowledgements (no bibliography in the book, and I haven't searched online for it yet).  Congartulations, Stefan!  You've become an academic resource.   

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 05:54:59 AM »
By the way, Philip Ratcliffe's John Hurt biography also lists Stefan as a resource, in the Acknowledgements (no bibliography in the book, and I haven't searched online for it yet).  Congartulations, Stefan!  You've become an academic resource. 
Give that man a cigar....  ;D

No bibliography? I live in hope of it being online by the time the book is available in UK.

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 06:08:27 AM »
By the way, Philip Ratcliffe's John Hurt biography also lists Stefan as a resource, in the Acknowledgements (no bibliography in the book, and I haven't searched online for it yet).  Congartulations, Stefan!  You've become an academic resource.  
Give that man a cigar....  ;D
"Die Wissenschaft, sie ist und bleibt ...
 was Einer ab vom Andern schreibt" (Eugen Roth)
 rough translation (without a rhyme): Science is only what one copies from others ...
But thanks for those kind words !!!
... and btw: I gave up smoking around 52 years ago (after having "smoked" my first - non filter - cigarette from my first self bought package - with a lot of tobacco crumbs in my mouth --- couldn't understand what was the use of it all --- and can't until today ;-)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 06:09:34 AM by Stefan Wirz »

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
... and btw: I gave up smoking around 52 years ago (after having "smoked" my first - non filter - cigarette from my first self bought package - with a lot of tobacco crumbs in my mouth --- couldn't understand what was the use of it all --- and can't until today ;-)  

...Ask Freud

(not really, Cigars are awsome because they're the only way to celebrate without appearing all giddy)
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
One of Weinstock's criticisms is that Preachin' The Blues contains "no discography of Son's recordings including CD releases".  But Daniel Beaumont does point the reader to Stefan Wirz's discography, once in a footnote and in the bibliography.

Dan basically told me there was no point in adding a discography (just a link) because Stefan's was so complete. Hard to argue with that.

Offline eric

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »
Beaumont has an interesting thesis:  Unlike so many bluesmen who found religion after playing the blues, Son had religion to start with, then had a powerful spiritual conversion to the blues.  And to be sure, I can't think of anyone who plays with more commitment than Son.  Also kind of explains the sermons that were part of his act.  I enjoyed the book.    
--
Eric

Offline MuddyBuddy

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »
Stefan's discographies are a real service to music lovers!

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
My copy arrived yesterday. I'm only partway through it, but so far I'm impressed. And I for one like the footnotes.

More when I'm done,
Alex

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 07:30:27 PM »
My copy arrived yesterday. I'm only partway through it ...

tsk tsk
 a little more application please  >:D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal