collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The first night I stayed in Memphis, chinch bugs turned my bed around - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Chinch Bug Blues

Author Topic: Music Collections Archived at Colleges/Universities  (Read 7756 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Music Collections Archived at Colleges/Universities
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2018, 06:56:26 AM »
Hi all,
I just merged a bunch of different threads to make this thread on music collections archived at colleges/universities.  I suspect there are other posts on site which should end up here, and I'll keep looking for them.
All best,
Johnm

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »
Thanks John for putting this together.

Here's a link to the University of Arkansas Ozark Folksong Collection (I thought I, or someone else, had shared this at some point but I can't seem to find it). There's a lot of stuff to dig through here but it's well worth the time.

http://digitalcollections.uark.edu/cdm/search/collection/OzarkFolkSong

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »
Thanks for suggesting the merger of topics, Lew.  I have added to this thread a thread dealing with links to interviews at the Atlanta History Center, not a college or university, per se, but close enough to the idea of this thread for it to make sense that it be here.  The relevant posts can be found on page three of this thread and they include links to interviews with Moonshine Kate (Fiddling' John Carson's daughter, Rosa Lee), Riley Puckett's wife and Buddy Moss.
All best,
Johnm

Offline oddenda

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »
"My" field recordings are currently held by The Southern Folklife Center in the Wilson Library at UNC-Chapel Hill. They can only be listened to at that location and not copied without my permission. The results of ten years of driving I-80 in the seventies. Not bad for a shy white guy from northern NJ back then. Check my web site [www.peterblowry.com] for more background information on my efforts.

Peter B.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2018, 08:19:48 AM »
I think you mean I-81 or I-95, Peter. I-80 goes from New York City to San Francisco. I-81 goes from northern NY State to Knoxville Ky, behind the Appalachian Mountains for defensive purposes during an invasion (really). But I-95 travels from Maine to Miami, some along the coast, right through NYC, but then mostly right through your beloved Piedmont.

Wax
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:22:10 AM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Lignite

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »
That's right Wax. Before I-95, 301 was the old route. Can't quite remember when 1-95 replaced it. If it was during Pete's time scouting blues guys I-95 would have been fairly new at the time.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:59:02 AM by Lignite »

Offline oddenda

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2018, 02:17:17 AM »
This is what happens when one is too damn lazy to drag out the old faithful Rand-McNally from back i the day! It was I-85 I cruised en route to Atlanta, then I-75 to Macon. I also happened to take parallel blue highways sometimes going in the same direction... that's where I successfully hit pawn shops on the (then) cheap. Most of the folks running such establishments back then who knew me and appreciated what i was up to gave me good prices on my purchases: Guitars, amps, cases, etc. Their interest was the same as mine - the music. Almost all went to MMRF for a small profit on my part in 2016. Life was in some ways more relaxed back then once folks understood that I wasn't out to screw them and was doing something they found interesting and I had enough knowledge to keep my mouth shut and LISTEN to the people. That's what a folklorist does!! I still hit burn-out after a decade "out there" (1970-1980), though. 

pbl                                         

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:14 AM »
Well you know we all appreciate your efforts here, Pete!

But for a roadie like me every highway tells a story. In the '70s I was situated up in Ithaca NY and used to drive south to Miami every year at New Years from about '74-79. I-81 then over to I-95. Sometimes coming back up by I-75, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Knoxville to I-81. Been in the San Francisco Bay Area since '89 and have crossed the country north (I-94), south (I-10, which mostly follows the old US Route 66) and middle (I-40 or I-80). Heading up to Portland on I-5 ("The 5") tomorrow. Any chance I might see you there Ligtnin'? 

Wax

PS: Almost all these trips were in VW bugs or my current '71 VW Squareback, which holds more guitars.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline oddenda

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2018, 05:17:26 AM »
Wax -

That"s an important attribute for a vehicle! My vans (GMC at first, then Dodge) had "built-ins" for sleep and storage. I overfilled it once with Bastin going from Nashville in 1973 - the weight of the 78's purchased by Bruce caused a blow-out and a bent rear axle! After that, in was only two dogs, recording equipment, some guitars and amps, lus some Trix stock... much lighter load!

pbl

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2019, 07:52:07 AM »
Hi all,
I recently became aware of the 'Archive Grid' a search engine specifically for "archival institutions" which seemed relevant to this topic.

Here's the link:
https://beta.worldcat.org/archivegrid/

And a description from the site:
"ArchiveGrid includes over 5 million records describing archival materials, bringing together information about historical documents, personal papers, family histories, and more. With over 1,000 different archival institutions represented, ArchiveGrid helps researchers looking for primary source materials held in archives, libraries, museums and historical societies."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal