collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Mmm mm, mmm mm mm, mmm mm mm, mm mm mm. Mmm mm mm mm mm, mmm mm, mm mm mm - John Jackson, Red River Blues

Author Topic: Kansas Joe's Joliet Bound on which JSP Set?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Kansas Joe's Joliet Bound on which JSP Set?
« on: October 12, 2005, 01:10:02 PM »
I know that this cut is not in the Memphis Minnie set, which I have, but I seem to remember someone saying the Kansas Joe sides were either out or coming out on a different JSP set. Inspired by Frankie's version, I thought it would be fun to try to work up my own from the origunal, as I'm trying to learn more material in Spanish. I know Frankie posted the original as a streaming mp3 on the L&L board, but I can't get that into Transcribe! to slow it down a bit. Besides, these days I could use an excuse to buy another set from JSP.-G- Thanks.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Kansas Joe's Joliet Bound on which JSP Set?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 07:03:39 PM »
Never mind, I found the discussion I remembered:
I believe they're going to do a Kansas Joe box seperately, or so I heard.? First they have to copy it from the Documents...
Hmmm? Well, any other suggestions of the best recording out there?

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 07:47:01 PM »
Wax - I have this on the Document vol 3 of Minnie and Joe, and on the Yazoo compilation Memphis Jamboree, which I think is out of print.

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 08:00:19 PM »
There's a Memphis Minnie vol. 2 (as they describe it) out on JSP now (in addition to the Big Bill vol. 2). I haven't dropped the requisite $25 on that yet so can't verify, but you might want to check that out.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 11:52:36 PM »
Never mind, I found the discussion I remembered:
I believe they're going to do a Kansas Joe box seperately, or so I heard.? First they have to copy it from the Documents...
Hmmm? Well, any other suggestions of the best recording out there?
All for now.
John C.
A better copy used to be on the Yazoo compilation Memphis Jamboree (L-1021) which the sleeve suggests would have come from the collections of either Kent, Klatzko or Pearls!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 12:50:24 AM »
Well, I found a track list for the JSP Memphis Minnie Vol. 2 at Roots and Rhythm and it's all later stuff (some with Little Son Joe), 1937 on. And the Yazoo, Memphis Jamboree is not on their site, but I can get it used thru Amazon for $18. Roots and Rhythm also lists DOCD 5030 and states "Good sound and informative notes by Alan Balfour make for another essential collection." Seems like Vol. 3 is really Joe and Minnie at their prime. But you think the sound is better on the Memphis Jamboree version than the Document, BH? Maybe I'll go by Down Home, tomorrow. They might even have both in stock. Their kinda hand in glove with R & R over in El Cerrito, just the other side of Berzerkeley.

Thanks all.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 07:51:29 AM »
I find the first three volumes of Minnie and Joe on Document to have the best material. Later Minnie stuff is less interesting to me, more modern and repetitive, with many great exceptions of course. She recorded a lot!

The speed on the Document transfer of Joilet Bound seems the tiniest bit slower than the Yazoo, and the times are indeed different - 3:09 for Doc vs. 3:05 for Yazoo. Both are not super clean recordings. But we're talking minor differences.

UB

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 10:33:54 AM »
I find the first three volumes of Minnie and Joe on Document to have the best material. Later Minnie stuff is less interesting to me, more modern and repetitive, with many great exceptions of course. She recorded a lot!
The speed on the Document transfer of Joilet Bound seems the tiniest bit slower than the Yazoo, and the times are indeed different - 3:09 for Doc vs. 3:05 for Yazoo. Both are not super clean recordings. But we're talking minor differences.
UB
With regard to your observation on Document series, you and me both.

I realise that this is a fairly scandalous thing to suggest, but I'm willing to put money on the fact that when Parth first reissued Joilet Bound in 1982 on Blues Documents (Kansas Joe Vol.1) it was taped from the Yazoo and in turn was probably re-used for the CD release. I know for a fact that Kansas Joe's One In A Hundred/One More Greasing on that Blues Documents compilation was dubbed from a British 1960 Jazz Collector 45 and when it appeared on CD his digitalisation techniques hadn't done much for it except slightly alter timings. But that's all academic really so I'll shut up.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 11:11:56 AM »
Well, thanks to a kind offer from one of our members who, due to a premature senior moment, has a duplicate copy of the Document issue (how many times have I done that?) I'll be recieving it in the mail shortly. Thanks Masked Marvel.

Putting Joliet Bound on my "Must be up and running by next PT" list.

BH, I guess when you're determined to issue every prewar blues recording, you gotta do what you gotta do.-G- Anyway, I'm looking forward to the liner notes.

Thanks again for your help, folks.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

lebordo

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 12:06:07 PM »
Just for the record, Joliet Bound is also on Proper Records double CD "Memphis Minnie -- Me And My Chauffeur", disc 1.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal