collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Croce: "Do you believe the Festival marked a comeback in your own career?" Hurt: "I certainly don't think it hurt," he answered laughing. "Of course my career has seen more comebacks than a Friday night fish fry. I've been around a long time, you know. My first record was for Okeh in 1928" - December 1963, young Villanova student Jim Croce asks a question about the recent Newport Folk Festival in an interview of Mississippi John Hurt for radio station WWVU, from I Got A Name - the Jim Croce Story by Ingrid Croce and Jimmy Rock (Da Capo 2012)

Author Topic: Willie Brown Found  (Read 3820 times)

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
Willie Brown Found
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:44:16 AM »
Does anyone know any info about a Willie Brown record being purchased in Edgecombe County NC in the last month?  I have heard from a couple of people that a collector has purchased Grandma Blues/Sorry Blues for an obscene amount of money and looking to release it in the next couple of years.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: Willie Brown Found
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »
That's great news, if it's true. I wonder how much money was involved. John Tefteller bought Tommy Johnson's "Alcohol and Jake Blues" for $37,100, and he already had a copy of that record. Hopefully the other missing Willie Brown 78 will turn up as well ("Window Blues" / "Kicking in My Sleep Blues" , Paramount 13099).

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »
I've seen nothing reported on that in any of the other forums I follow. That would be a "Holy Grail" find, to be sure.
Jeff

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:54:02 PM »
How did you hear about it tinpanallygurl?

randymeadows@ymail.com
luvthatzeppelin on Youtube

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »
I first heard about it from an old fella named Clyde whose family friend passed away recently and this eccentric old fella collected all kinds of things, and he knew he had a collection of 78s.  Another person told me in an email, he is buying the house of the collector.  The collector's long time partner was the one to sell the record and is selling the house.  I have no idea what it sounds like but for what I have heard the buyer paid over $70,000 for the record so I assume it is playable.  I was also told by Clyde that he was put off by the articles online discussing the $25,000 dollar payoff knowing he could get more, and he did.

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:39:35 PM »
I know a person that had seen it and heard it played when it belonged to the original owner.
It was a few months ago. ( not me)...
Word is that it sounds reminiscent of Kid Bailey style...
It's exciting news for sure.
randymeadows@ymail.com
luvthatzeppelin on Youtube

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:48:44 PM »
I woulda thought Kid Bailey's playing was reminiscent of Willie Brown's style? Who learned from whom?

But this is interesting news. Hard to believe it hasn't been shouted on RBF.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline HeyPally

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »
Here are several links to '60s audio interviews where Kid Bailey was discussed...

From the Gayle Dean Wardlow collection.

Ishmon Bracey Interview:

http://musicman.mtsu.edu/.../cpm_94048.../cpm007.mp3

http://musicman.mtsu.edu/.../cpm_94048.../cpm008.mp3

Robert Gildart Interview:

http://musicman.mtsu.edu/.../cpm_94048_tta182n.../cpm017.mp3

http://musicman.mtsu.edu/.../cpm_94048_tta182n.../cpm018.mp3

Offline alyoung

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 05:28:20 AM »

But this is interesting news. Hard to believe it hasn't been shouted on RBF.

Wax

If memory serves me right, it has ... and been debunked by several forum members, including John Tefteller.

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 01:36:16 PM »
"If memory serves me right, it has ... and been debunked by several forum members, including John Tefteller."

What was debunked?  This is a fairly recent occurrence.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:39:14 PM by tinpanallygurl »

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 04:22:39 PM »
It wasn't really debunked. Someone on the RBF conflated this recent Willie Brown report with a discredited YouTube poster from a few years ago who claimed to have heard a tape recording of the lost Brown 78 and proceeded to "perform" it in the video. I don't see any real connection between that ridiculous YouTube claim and the one posited here. BUT I also am not convinced that the report made here is true. No proof yet. And the rare 78 collectors at the RBF had heard nothing of such a find - which is surprising, as the supposed seller probably would have shopped it around to get the best price. And there are only a handful of people well-heeled enough to shop it around to. So...skepticism and doubt is what most people feel.
Jeff

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 09:06:48 PM »
Sorry I am not in the loop but what is RBF?  Also I made a few calls and from what I gather the sale was set up quite a while ago, before the previous owner died.  He was somewhat of a hermit.  His hermitness might be due to the fact that he was gay, in a small town in eastern North Carolina that is far far far from being open minded.  His partner has already moved closer to friends and family.  THe previous owner was friends with Piedmont blues artist George Higgs.  It is possible that John Tefteller might have never been contacted since there was a buyer on tap willing to pay more than the $25,000 offer John has offered in the past.  I don't know the people directly so my knowledge is limited. 

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 07:00:21 AM »
The RBF is the "Real Blues Forum" on Facebook. It, along with its affiliated sub-group "The Rarest 78s," is largely populated with the big-time record collectors whose 78s we are often listening to when we listen to the pre-war blues.
Jeff

Offline Drew.MS.Blues96

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 04:20:05 AM »
Hello everyone

There has been no news about it...
Finally it just another hoax ?

Thank You

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal