collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Julius Lester came in with a music caravan. Bob Dylan was there, Pete Seeger, Theodore Bikel. But what they forgot about was that for about 100 miles around, [they] had some of the best traditional music ever. And we didn't have the consciousness then to pull that together, you know, to pull in those living legends of blues men and women who were right there - Worth Long, organizer for the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, talking about a movement festival in Greenwood, Mississippi in 1960s

Author Topic: Sun Don't Shine - Teddy Williams  (Read 849 times)

bayrum78

Sun Don't Shine - Teddy Williams
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
Somehow I missed the wonderful collection of blues recorded by George Mitchell and first heard it last weekend on my way down to the Charlie Poole Festival in Eden,NC on a friend's ipod. Among several others, I was transfixed by the Teddy Williams  material and thought I'd try my hand at his Sun Don't Shine Blues. Here she is......hope you like it!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:04:00 PM by bayrum78 »

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: Sun Don't Shine - Teddy Williams
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
Really fine stuff, Bayrum, thanks for posting that.

To my ears that riff sounds a lot like Garfield Akers/Joe Calicott Cottonfield Blues. Anyone else hear that connection?

So much stuff on that George Mitchell collection to go through, you're gonna be busy for a few years with that set.

Would love to hear a report about the Charlie Poole Festival.

Lindy
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:19:28 AM by lindy »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:37:19 AM »
Another fine performance!

bayrum78

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
Thanks guys! Hadn't noticed that before Lindy but yeah the Hernando sound is there! The riffing in Dough Roller Blues is very similar and they both play the flatted 3rd heavily. I think Garfield's riff slides into the minor 3rd (C) on the 3rd string and Williams is playing the same note an octave lower on the 5th string. The other difference is Williams follows with a  A7th (G note) glissando tag at the tail end of the riff. The D chord and E chord fingering is peculiar in this song and I don't recall hearing another song that drones on the low G note (6th string) instead of the 6th string open E when playing the E (V)chord while singing an E note.  He really leverages the flatted 3rd in this song.

I had a really good and bad time at the CP festival in Eden ( formerly named Spray until it merged with Leake). Good because I always enjoy seeing Kinney Rorrer perform Poole songs true to the style and I landed 2nd place in the fingerstyle guitar competition playing Peg Leg Howell's Walkin' Blues. Really bad because over the course of the weekend severe thunderstorms destroyed my tent and shelter Friday night and then rolled in again Sat late afternoon and destroyed the replacement tent and $helter I bought earlier that same day. The designated camping area was flanked by a canal that was sandwiched between two mills one of which employed CP. This layout created a wind tunnel that wreaked havoc on us. I never actually got to camp - we  stayed at a friends house out of town Friday night and at a local hotel sat. night. When we returned Sunday to the camp site which I had started calling "Camp Joplin" to gather the salvageable remains of our camping gear - it had all been looted! Over the course (curse) of the weekend I lost several hundred dollars. Will I go there again? Yup (I'm pretty hard headed). Sinced then , I've been telling folks  I got Sprayed and Leaked on in Eden ;-)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 12:27:07 PM by bayrum78 »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
Hi Bayrum.

You've got a very nice strong, almost hypnotic, groove again on this song!

Congratulations regarding the fingerstyle competition too. Let's all hope that the sun will shine to your backdoor tent someday!  :)

Cheers

Pan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal