collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The blues... ain't no cause for jumpin'. You go to jumpin', THAT ain't the blues. The blues is just by itself... - Son House

Author Topic: Angelina- Grand Concert ? Jerron Paxton  (Read 1123 times)

Offline jostber

Angelina- Grand Concert ? Jerron Paxton
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »
Found this video with Jerron Paxton on the Fraulini guitars site. Sounding great with a spirit, anyone checked out his music?

http://fraulini.com/angelina/

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 01:44:05 PM by jostber »

Offline Old Man Ned

Re: Angelina- Grand Concert ? Jerron Paxton
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »
I saw him recently in Gosforth, Newcastle in the UK in what was part of a short UK tour. Though more than a little under the weather with what seemed like a heavy cold, he did a good set. Not only did he play guitar and piano but also banjo, fiddle and harmonica.  For me, he excels most on banjo, but is terrific on guitar & fiddle too.

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 05:59:31 AM »
I played on the bill with he and Andy Cohen.  I was subbing with another band that night.  He is a force to be reckoned with.

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
We hosted Jarron at a Lancaster Roots & Blues Master Session a few years ago.  The workshop was titled "From the Parlor to the Plantation" and (loosely) covered the evolution of music from the late 1800s to just before WWII.  We provided about 8 or 10 vintage guitars that would have been 'typical' for a type or style of music.  My co-host and I would discuss an era or style of music and then Jerron would perform a song in that 'style' on a corresponding instrument, and add his own comments.  The instruments ranged from a parlor guitar, through various 'catalog' guitars, and a resonator or two, and so on.  There may be some Youtube footage of this on line.

Jerron was great, not only because of his chops and deep bag of songs, but his personality is one that can have the audience eating out of his finger-picking hand .. he has that showman/entertainer 'it' factor, which can cause you to transport yourself to an older time in history, maybe sitting in at a Vaudeville show or something.

Later in the weekend, Jarron performed a full show on a large stage, and he used his Fraulini for that!

Yes, if you get the chance to see him, in a smallish venue especially, grab it!  Dom Flemmons is another entertainer in the same vein, btw.  And performs with vintage instruments, too.  :o

Tom

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal