collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The further jazz moves away from the stark blue continuum and the collective realities of Afro-American and American life, the more it moves into academic concert-hall lifelessness, which can be replicated by any middle class showing off its music lessons - Imamu Amiri Baraka

Author Topic: Tell It To Me ? Quote Drive 2010  (Read 12426 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: Tell It To Me ? Quote Drive 2010
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »

These Memphis cops call me a vagrant, but I?m a musician. I?m a recording artist for the Vict?ry [Victor] company. Known all over the world. But these southern laws don?t recognize a man by his talents.

Willie Blackwell to Alan Lomax

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 05:31:48 AM »
"Can you play B.B. King?" "Yeah, if you put some strings on him, I'll play him." - Yank Rachell, Blues Mandolin Man

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
"You say a white boy can't know the blues.  During the Depression I'd sleep in ditches and know if I died that night no one would know what I was or where I come from."
--Harmonica Frank Floyd, quoted in Colin Escott and Martin Hawkins' Good Rocking Tonight: Sun Records and the Birth of Rock & Roll.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2010, 08:57:22 AM »
Here's "Ninety-Nine Years and One Dark Day." The ninety-nine years is when you got a lifetime, the dark day is when you're dead. That's too bad for you. - Jesse Fuller

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2010, 04:17:18 PM »
"The sweet, passionate melody captivated his heart from the first note; it was full of radiance, full of the tender throbbing of inspiration and happiness and beauty, continually growing and melting away; it rumoured of everything on earth that is dear and secret and sacred to mankind; it breathed of immortal sadness and it departed from the earth to die in the heavens."
Ivan Turgenev
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline unezrider

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2010, 08:20:50 PM »
i asked him how 'bout it, & he said, "all right!" i asked him how long, & he said, "all night!"
? Mattie Delaney, 'The Big Road Blues' (1930)
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2010, 08:39:22 AM »
"You can't play no blues unless you have some hard times.  Young people today, I don'y care whether they're black or white, they didn't come up like Muddy and me, they come up too easy."

Howlin' Wolf to Peter Guralnick, from Feel Like Going Home.

I posted this in my thread What Is It About the Blues, but I felt it belonged here on its own merit as well.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
"I had no idea jug band music was so important" - overheard in the lobby at a Chasin' Gus's Ghost performance

And that was my 2,900th post, excellent.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:52:57 PM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2010, 09:19:26 AM »
I made my first banjo out of a guitar neck and a tin can mama used to make biscuits in. And the first thing I learnt on that was Old John Booker - You Call That Gone. - Gus Cannon, interview on Broadcasting the Blues, Document Records.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:08 AM »
It is absurd to have a hard and fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read. - Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2010, 06:07:05 AM »
Don't know if we had it before, but the Jesse Fuller reference above reminds me of his:

"'Scuse my cough, I slept in a chicken house last night!"
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »
"Its like somebody making your lip speak, making it say things he thinks....The Blues is a slow story. The feeling of the beautiful things that happen to you is in the Blues; its a home language like two friends talking.
its the language everybody understands. You can inject into people with the instrument i think.

Trumpeter Henry Red Allen on the Blues
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Rambler

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »
"Ma, well then it looks like I found me some religion"

Brings to mind Broonzy's 'Hey Bub Blues' : I seed a man standin' at the window pullin' off his clothes.... So I said, "Hey, Bub, -- what goes?"
So he said, "Look, Bub, -- if you knowed what I paid for this room and what's in it, them clothes will be out of style when I come down."

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2010, 12:19:08 PM »
"Is your name Rabbit or is that just a nickname?" "No, my name is Lewis Anderson Muse. That's my real name." "How'd they give you that name?" "What, Rabbit? Well, I got that name playing baseball." - Interview with Lewis "Rabbit" Muse, Digital Library of Appalachia

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2010, 05:52:54 AM »
Upstroke is the way I learned it though. That's the way you're supposed to go with a mandolin. After I got my hands stiff I have to play it down. I can't play that quiver like I used to. You can play that quiver better with an upstroke. Upstroke is a better sound to me. Sure is. - Yank Rachell, Blues Mandolin Man

Tags: quotes 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal