collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't know much, but what I know, I _really_ know - Alice Stuart, Port Townsend 99

Author Topic: Why do people keep saying this MS Sheiks Record does not exist?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Shovel

EDIT:  I was going by memory on the Tefteller Calendar, who never in fact said 'no known copies exist'  I remember thinking 'Hot Damn! I think I've got that one!" when  I read about it being tough for him to find on his Calendar. The author  just got it wrong, and nobody's repeating it (except me here now). Thanks for catching my error.

I guess Tefteller got the rumor started in his calendar and then here it is parroted again ..

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/mystery-behind-blues-songs-title-proves-tough-nut-crack

There's been at least 7 that have sold online in the past several years:

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/search?q=8810+Sheiks&search-button=

And our best guess is it's about peanuts from the peanut stand in the South?  Really?

Bizarre...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:48:31 AM by Shovel »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Why do people keep saying this MS Sheiks Record does not exist?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
Thanks for the post. Either JT overlooked the obvious or we're missing something. Maybe there's more to it.

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:05 AM »
To be fair JT didn't say it doesn't exist, that was the author's hyperbole. He just didn't know who had it.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »
I agree with Gumbo.

Checking Stefan Wirz's discography for the Sheiks, the song was included on a Document LP in 1990 and a Document CD in '91. Hard to imagine both Tefteller and Jack Black's compiler's weren't aware of that. But, given the oft' touted collector secrecy/jealousy, it's perhaps understandable that a copy might be hard to come by, which is all Tefteller seems to state.

So the answer to the question would be, this people (the editor) just wanted to pump up the reality of the story.

I imagine it's possible that some of those seven sales were of the same copy.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »
I took the author's statement, "But it also is one of the group?s rarest, as no copies are known to exist." at face value--an obvious error on my part. I missed something. Thanks, guys.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal