collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I just don't find any sadness in the blues... I get a happy feeling when I hear a guitar tuning up. - Etta Baker, quoted in Woman With Guitar: Memphis Minnie's Blues by Paul and Beth Garon

Author Topic: New CD!!! The Little Brothers - Mama's Angel Child  (Read 2873 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
New CD!!! The Little Brothers - Mama's Angel Child
« on: February 12, 2011, 12:42:22 PM »
Available from CDBaby.com starting 21-February!

Songs and tunes for the wayward by the Little Brothers!!  Artwork by Mr. O'muck!!

1. LOOSE LIKE THAT
2. NEW BUMBLE BEE
3. CROW JANE
4. MAMA'S ANGEL CHILD
5. WHAT FAULT YOU FIND OF ME
6. FAREWELL DADDY
7. CABO VERDRANOS PE?A NOVE
8. BAD LUCK BLUES
9. THE GIRL I LOVE GOT LONG CURLY HAIR
10. WAYWARD GIRL
11. LEAKE COUNTY BLUES
12. COLD PENITENTIARY BLUES
13. VIOLA LEE BLUES
14. GRIND SO FINE
15. BLACK MATTIE
16. MOTHER'S PRAYER

CDBaby can't be set up for pre-order unfortunately, so watch our artist space!

Offline Frank G

Re: New CD!!! The Little Brothers - Mama's Angel Child
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
Awesome and congratulations!  I'll be first in line.  I realize now that I never downloaded the other album after that great Mississippi Sheiks workshop I took with you, although I must have listened to you guys do Baby, How Can It Be a couple dozen times on youtube.  I'm headed over to cd baby to buy that album now.  Looking forward to February 21!
Frank

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
The day before my birthday!  It'll make a nice present to myself.  I can't wait.

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:44:31 AM »
Congratulations Frankie!

Mike

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:50:30 AM »
That's one stylish cover. And I know the music is going to be stylish too. Congratulations Frankie, Kim and Mike.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »
Tip of the hat to Don Schlitten, the designer of the original Prestige Bluesville covers that this one emulates.
Hell's bells! I fergot to grab a copy at Jalopy! I haven't even heard it yet! Blimey! :o
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 05:51:42 PM »
Looking forward to it!
Chris

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:03:46 PM »
What everyone said!

Cheers

Pan

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 05:49:57 AM »
Mama's Angel Child from the Little Brothers - available at CDBaby now!

Offline Frank G

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 06:59:12 AM »
It's downloading now...arriving in itunes in approximately two minutes...
Frank

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 02:48:50 AM »
My review of the album just appeared in "Blues in Britain" magazine, so here it is below.

"The Little Brothers ? Mama?s Angel Child
Penny Records 8450147121

Hot on the heels of last year?s critically acclaimed ?Walked All the Way Back Home? comes this, the second release, from New Jersey-based trio, the Little Brothers. The performances on this 16-track CD are as strong as ever, the material is carefully selected and it again offers an eclectic mix of pre-war blues, old timey string band and jug band music. The recording quality is superior to their first release and we have the added bonus of the exceptional vocals of fiddler, Kim Basile, on three tracks.

The other musicians in the band are Frankie Basile on vocals, guitar, banjo and mandola and Mike Hoffmann on mandolin and the full complement is featured on the opening track ?Loose Like That?, originally recorded by the Mississippi Sheiks in 1930. The aforementioned powerful vocals of Kim Basile come into play on Memphis Minnie?s ?New Bumble Bee? which also benefits from Kim?s ?alley fiddle?. That instrument also features on Frankie?s excellent reading of ?Crow Jane? in the style of Carl Martin. Other blues writers covered include Sleepy John Estes and Noah Lewis of Cannon?s Jug Stompers, and Frankie himself contributes one song.

Other influences creep in, such as ?Leake County Blues? originally by the obscure Leake County Revelers and an instrumental piece from the Cape Verde Islands titled ?Cabo Verdranos Pe?a Nove?. ?Bad Luck Blues? is Frankie?s solo rendition of the Blind Lemon Classic ? and Frankie does Blind Lemon as well as anyone else playing today. ?Farewell Daddy? comes from Ma Rainey?s repertoire and again features Kim?s superb vocals (something we only heard relatively recently). The closing track, ?Mother?s Prayer? delivers an incredibly ethereal sound and has to be heard to be believed.

I cannot recommend this release highly enough. The Little Brothers play early acoustic roots music as well as or better than any other current acts. Check out their YouTube videos under ?frankie12string? should you require further confirmation.

You can buy the CD online from CDBaby. I rarely do this, but this album is going to get full marks!

Rating: 10
Michael Prince"
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 03:23:41 AM »
Thanks for the review, PP!

There is one review, by Gerard Herzhaft, on the CDBaby page for the CD:

"This new CD could have been recorded - as the CD cover suggests - on the Bluesvill label during the 60's. The Little Brothers have by the way also a sister, Kim Basile, who is the strongest element here, either when she sings or when she plays a mean lowdown fiddle. But the two others are also very good. Blues and folk revival of course but with a true understanding of the downhome foundations of the genres."

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »
The Little Brothers have by the way also a sister, Kim Basile, who is the strongest element here, either when she sings or when she plays a mean lowdown fiddle. But the two others are also very good.

Yeah, who cares about the other two - we want Kim!   :P :P  Which of course we told you about years ago.

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=4629.msg33932#msg33932

I dunno Frank, you might want to take advantage of this - maybe the next CD cover should be a side profile of Kim with her hair up, fiddle under chin,looking mysterious.  ;)

Offline jaycee

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 09:35:48 AM »
i would love to buy this cd, but i don't know if cdbaby. sell their,  product outside of the states.
jaycee

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 09:50:47 AM »
i would love to buy this cd, but i don't know if cdbaby. sell their,  product outside of the states.

CDBaby ships internationally. http://www.cdbaby.com/Shipping

Offline Eltee

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 12:09:17 PM »
Nice job excellent record. Thanks Little Brothers Bought it on Emusic.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
Jaycee - if CDBaby doesn't pan out for you, PM me and we can work something out.

i remember that slack, and it's been made abundantly clear to me that my new purpose in life is to get out of the way and let Kim do her thing...  should be interesting!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 03:24:43 PM »
i remember that slack, and it's been made abundantly clear to me that my new purpose in life is to get out of the way and let Kim do her thing...  should be interesting!

ha!  Frank, you're a visionary - my sincere congratulations on your achievement, a culmination of many many years of hard work!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »
Ordered the CD and greatly looking forward to it.

Offline jaycee

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
thanks for the info as regards shipping, uncle bud, its appreciated. frankie if i have any problems i will, p.m. you.
jaycee

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Excellent work, is my impression after one run through. It's pretty deep though so I'll do it full justice and spin it a few more times before commenting in any detail. Besides, everyone else and their dog has reviewed it already.

I did pick up on one inaccuracy though, everyone is perfectly tune. WTF? Apart from this minor blemish...

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal