collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

When I die, don't bury me at all, just cremate me honey, 'cause I wants my ashes hauled - Steve James, Will and Testament Blues, American Primitive

Author Topic: The Genial Hawaiians  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
The Genial Hawaiians
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »
Many of you are probably familiar with the absolutely spectacular lap slide and guitar duet version of St. Louis Blues that Jim & Bob, the Genial Hawaiians recorded and which was released on an early Yazoo record called Masters of Bottleneck Guitar (i think). Does anybody know anything about them?  Who they were, where they lived, when they died? I listened to that wonderful CD again today and was struck again by this almost perfect performance (the whole CD is a killer btw, get it!)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: The Genial Hawaiians
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:18:48 PM »
Does anybody know anything about them?...

I've been asking the same question myself for the last 35+ years. Here's a link:

http://www.planetgaa.com/HawGuit/GenialHawaiians.html

Talk about musical imagination!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 01:36:10 AM »
When I first used to listen to that excellent Yazoo LP way back when, I didn't pay much attention to Jim & Bob, as it wasn't blues. However at some stage Kevin Brown, the British slide guitarist, was staying at my house and drew my attention to the track.  He said something along the lines of "... the blues slide players are all well and good, but if you want to hear something really fantastic, take another careful listen to the Jim & Bob track."  There was no going back after that and I bought "Hawaiian Guitar Hotshots" as the first of a number of suchlike albums. That led to my discovery of Sol Ho'opi'i, Kalamas Quartet and the great King Benny Nawahi, amongst others.

If forum members have not yet discovered the joys of vintage Hawaiian swing music, a good place to start is the JSP box set "It's Hotter in Hawaii".  It features many great tracks - for my money the best ones being performed on acoustic or resophonic instruments, as opposed to electric, but that's just my personal taste.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:37:19 AM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• Global Moderator
  • Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:43:24 AM »
The JSP set is highly reccommended as is the Sam Ku West CD which has as a plus great quality recordings.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Grass Skirt

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 04:49:31 AM »
All 12 of the original recordings by Jim and Bob are now available on the cd "Genial Hawaiians" issued by Grass Skirt Records .Also included are all 12 sides cut by George Ku's Paradise Islanders.
The booklet tells the complete story of Jim and Bob too! with some "new " photos

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »
Thanks for the info, Grass Skirt.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:17:12 AM »
That's a CD I've got to have.  I got the Sol Ho'opi'i In Hollywood CD several years ago, and thought both the sound and packaging were very well done. 

Offline mr mando

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 01:24:52 AM »
It's a pity that Jim & Bob recorded only 12 titles, but at least all of these are now available on this great CD. Not only is the music top notch, but also the remastering is great for the whole CD. If you're accustomed to listening to reissues of vintage paramount 78s, you'll be surprised how clean these J&B bluebirds sound. The George Ku recordings were a big surprise to me, as I was only familiar with one track by him (Ku'u Lei) from the Rounder set "the Great Singers", and wouldn't have thought he had recorded that many great sides, which must have been a huge influence on western swing steel players.
The artwork and liner notes are clearly a work of love and dedication. To me this is one of the most important reuissue recordings in years.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »
I received my copy of "Genial Hawaiians" last week. It's an excellent album and the liner notes answer some of the questions that I've had for decades. If you like Hawaiian music, this one is a must have, IMHO. It also motivated me to make CD copies of "Hula Blues" and "Hawaiian Guitar Hot Shots" from my LPs--two compilations that have stood the test of time.

For fans of slack key, there's going to be a festival in Seattle on November 11. Here's the link:

http://www.seattleslackkeyfestival.com/

Offline mr mando

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 05:27:41 AM »
I'm really intrigued by the sweet hawaiian guitar tone, the chord progression and the overall musical performance of "Coffee In The Morning (And Kisses In The Night)", which is a Warren/Dubin composition from the musical "Moulin Rouge", and thus from the same source as the way better known song "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams". The lyrics of Jim and Bob's version differ decidedly from the published sheet music. Here's what I have. I'm not sure about the part in parentheses and would appreciate your help. 

Coffee In The Morning And Kisses In The Night

I?ve got a mission, it?s just a simple thing
I?ve only one ambition to have the right to bring you
Your coffee in the morning and kisses in the night

It makes no diff?rence where we decide to live
As long as I?m the one, dear, who?s always there to give you

The job of loving you is legal according to the NRA
So [let us have a] big blue eagle to keep the big bad wolf away

There are a few things you may dislike in me
But you can count on two things that I will guarantee, dear

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 06:02:24 AM »
The second line of verse 2 is "As long as I?m the one who?s always GOING to give you"

"The job of loving you is legal according to the NRA
So let us have a big blue eagle to keep the big bad wolf away"

I think the chorus above is correct.  For non-Americans (or, I guess, non-history majors now), the symbol of the National Recovery Administration during the Great Depression was the silhouette of an eagle in blue.

Offline mr mando

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
dj, thanks for chiming in. I'm no history major, but just had seen a tv documentary about the great depression and the new deal, and suddenly the lyrics made sense to me! And thanks Stuart for the PM pointing out that he's pronouncing the words in question as "gonna".

I thought I might also share the chords that I think Jim Holstein plays on this tune:

Chorus:
| D  Bb  |  Em/B  A7  |  D  Bm  | F#m7    F | Em  Aaug |  D  C  B7   | Em  A  |    D    |
| D  Bb  |  Em/B  A7  |  D  Bm  | F#m7    F | Em  Aaug |  D  C  B7   | Em  A  |  D D7 |
| G F#7 Em | F#m  | Em A7 | F#m  D7 | Em  F# |  Bm  F#7 | E7 | A Adim A7  |
| D  Bb  |  Em/B  A7  |  D  Bm  | F#m7    F | Em  Aaug |  D  C  B7   | Em  A6  |  D    |

Verse:
| D D+ Bm D | Em/F# | A7 | D |
| F#m Bm F#m | Bm F#m | | Bm F#m C#7 | F#m |
| Adim Gaug | Em | E7 | Em7b5 A7 |

Mostly first position chords. For the fourth bar I think he plays a first position A with an F# in the bass for the first two beats, followed by 4-2-2 and 3-2-1 on the D-G-B strings. The first bar in the middle eight I believe to be: 6th string 3rd fret, then 0-0-0, 2-3-2 and 2-0-0 on the D-G-B strings. The first bar in the verse has just a movement on the G string (2-3-4-2). The F# bass in bar two in the verse might be a mistake. Bar 5 in the verse has a bass line under the chords: Dstring 4th fret, Gstring 2nd, 4th and 2nd, with the Bm chord only on beat 3. The Gaug is played 1-0-0- on the D-G-B strings if I hear it right. The Em7b5 is played 2-3-3-3 on the top four strings. If anybody hears anything differently, please let me know.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:26:10 PM by mr mando »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal