collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Would you like to play with me?" - Henry Townsend's reply to soundman Warren Argo's query as to whether anyone would be playing with Henry at his concert set at the first Port Townsend Country Blues Workshop

Author Topic: Crazy 'Bout Her Loving--Mississippi Sheiks  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Crazy 'Bout Her Loving--Mississippi Sheiks
« on: September 29, 2009, 03:28:09 PM »
I've been listening the new Blues Images Calendar CD lately, and some chords in this Mississippi Sheiks' great arrangement caught my ear as somewhat unusual.

I think I'm hearing a IV6 and a I69 chord being played.

If I'm not mistaken, the guitar part is played from the D-position, guitar tuned low, roughly a whole step.

The chord forms take advantage of using the open 1st string on top, if I'm not mistaken.

D69

x-5-4-4-3-0

and

G6/B

x-2-0-0-3-0.

This creates a nice jazzy feel to the chords.

This song was apparently recorded in 1932. Would that mean that the guitar (and vocal?) parts are by Walter Vinson?

Thanks

Pan

Edited to add: as Frankie says below, the correct chord position for both the I and IV chords seems to be x-x-0-4-3-0
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:25:21 AM by Johnm »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Crazy 'Bout Her Loving
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 04:59:58 PM »
Hi Pan - it's Walter singing and playing guitar, Lonnie fiddling.  He gets a lot of mileage out of this fingering:

x-x-0-4-3-0

nicely ambiguous, since it can function as a I chord (D6 add 9) or a IV chord (rootless G6/D).  Slick.

For whatever reason, it's difficult to hear anything clearly that might be happening on the sixth string...  there are places where you can clearly hear the open 5th string:  during the chorus and during the break, but the open 6th string is kind of elusive in this particular tune...  every other recording he made in the key of D was made in drop-D tuning, which makes it kinda reasonable to assume he used it here, too...  I play it thataway, anyhow.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:27:55 AM »
Thanks Frankie, relistening I think you're right about the chord.

I agree that Dropped D would make perfect sense, although I can't hear much of the 6th string either.

That's some very cool guitar playing!

Cheers

Pan

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:44:44 AM »
The version on the Blues Images calendar CD is the clearest of the versions I have, and to me it really sounds like Vinson assiduously avoids that 6th string, particularly the way he uses the open 5th string so often.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »
Be interesting to see what the key/tuning of the song recorded just before this one was, if there was one. Maybe he just forgot to tune to Drop D and once they start cuttin' the wax there's no restarting, eh?

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
The exact recording date is unknown according to B&GR and there are 2 missing matrix numbers between It's a Pain to Me, which is a Bb tune, and this song. Perhaps these are missing Sheiks songs (you hear that, record-hunters?).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal