collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm worried they won't understand my brogue - Bill Williams, expressing concern to John Miller and Nick Perls with regard to performing for audiences at the 1974 Smithsonian Folklife Festival:

Author Topic: Papa Charlie Jackson's Playing--Queries and Tips  (Read 3350 times)

Offline PattonsDaimon

• Howdy!
Papa Charlie Jackson's Playing--Queries and Tips
« on: February 11, 2004, 05:44:58 PM »
This is for John Miller, or anyone else who knows. Could you tell me what the chord progression for Papa Charlie Jackson's Airy Man is? It sounds like D to me, but I'm having trouble with some of the other chords. Thanks very much for the info.
"To be is to be the value of a bound variable." -- W.V. Quine

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Papa Charlie Jackson's Airy Man
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 05:56:21 PM »
Hi PD - if you take the opening measures, the chords are:

D///? D///? E7/A7/? D///? E7/A7/ D

The E7 shape is a D7 moved up two frets.? Throw in a G7 in a couple of places in the tune and those are the chords to the tune for the most part.? The break is a killer...? just amazing!? The words are tricky, too - I remember that we worked them out on Ari Eisinger's board some time ago.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 06:09:22 PM »
There's also a B7 that shows up for sure during one of the breaks.  The shape he uses is like an A7 moved up two frets.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 09:49:15 AM »
Of course, John's got the definitive answer here.

Offline The Jazzbo Tommy Settler

Chords For Papa Charlie Jackson's I Got What It Takes
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:39:32 AM »
G'day, recently I've been trying to figure out I Got What It Takes by ear. I've got so far as I can play along with great deal of it by playing G, E7, A7, D7 with the strings tuned down a half-step from E. However there are bits such as that which starts at 26 seconds, or "Now babe, the stuff I've got is the stuff that makes", that loose me. I'd appreciate any help you can give me thanks.
A few of my favourite tunes: Telephone Girl - Arville Reed, Rag Baby - Willie Baker, Big Bed Bug - Jazzbo Tommy Settler, How Long Blues - Jed Davenport, Toodle Doo - Alec Johnson, Am I Right Or Wrong - Son House, Don't The Moon Look Pretty - Seven Coloured Boys, Barbecue Bust - Blind Roosevelt Graves, Omie Wise - Grayson & Whitter.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Chords For Papa Charlie Jackson's I Got What It Takes
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:03:39 AM »
Welcome to WC, Jazzbo. At that point in the song, I hear a D7, with a Blind Blake-like bass thumb roll from the open 5th string into the open 4th.

Offline Oatmeal Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
I'm guessing you're talking about when it strays from the GEAD progression. When Charlie goes into "I've saved it up since I don't know when" I immediately play that as a B7. Then roll back into that E, A and D.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:19:40 PM by Oatmeal Jones »

Offline crustypicker

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
great song i've just about got it except for on the break it. at the end of the break before he starts to sings he does something with his d7 that i cant quite figure out anyone got advice for it? cheers

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »
great song i've just about got it except for on the break it. at the end of the break before he starts to sings he does something with his d7 that i cant quite figure out anyone got advice for it? cheers

To my ears, it sounds like he is rocking back and forth with a C#7 and a G/D chord. They might be voiced like this C#7: x-4-3-4-2-x (basically your garden-variety C7 moved up one fret), and G/D:  x-5-5-4-3-x. I could be wrong, though. 

Cheers

Pan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal