collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sugar Babe was the first piece I learned, when I was a little boy about 13 years old. Reason I know this so good, I got a whippin' about it. Come out of the cotton-patch to get some water and I was up at the house playin' the git-tar and my mother come in; whopped me cause I didn't come back - I was playin' the git-tar. Yeah, I got a whippin' bout Sugar Babe - I never will forgit that one - Mance Lipscomb, from his biography

Author Topic: Your main guitar(s)?  (Read 57294 times)

Offline outfidel

Your main guitar(s)?
« on: June 12, 2004, 10:52:49 AM »
I'm curious to hear the make/model of guitars that Weenies play.

My main squeeze is a Martin 00-18CTN (Libba Cotten model) -- a short-scale, 00-size, 14-fret, mahogany/sitka beauty. I love this guitar, and it's perfect for fingerstyle folk/blues. I'm thinking of eventually getting a wood body National resonator, such as the Estralita, but for now I am quite content with Libba.

And yours?
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Reso1

Re: Your main guitar(s)?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 12:03:14 PM »
Okay... here goes: National M2 with Highlander, '36 National Trojan, Lowden O35C with Highlander, 50's National Reso-phonic, 50's Kay K-161 Thin Twin, 50's Silvertone Dano U2, Les Paul Spcial Jr (P90s), a couple old Oahu squre necks, Goldtone Banjitar, '52 Fender Princeton, '58 Gibson GA-5 Skylark, & a THD Bilvalve.

On top of that, I'm pretty happy with this current line up. I can get most of the tones I want. Still waiting to see if National Resophonic puts out a wood bodied tricone! I might have to have one of those!? ?:D
I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the  library and read a book.

-Groucho Marx

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 01:06:53 PM »
Can't compete with that dream list as I just have one of any real consequence - a '73  OMI roundneck Dobro.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 01:42:36 PM »
Martin 000-16 1995 gets the most playing time, followed by a Gibson ES-125 jazz archtop 1948/9

Dobro Duolian Hula Blues squareneck 90s
Mattsen local built roundneck single cone reso

GAS-ing for a Martin HD-28VS and / or Gibson flattop of any description

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 02:41:01 PM »
A 2003 Dodson  :P 

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 06:09:24 PM »
OK, I'll play. Right now my playing time, which I happen to have a lot of, is split pretty evenly between these three:
  • 1920ish OS Stella - a sweetheart
  • 1920ish OS Sovereign 12 - tuned standard down to B - never fails to produce heebie jeebies
  • 1930 National Style 0 - Ari's fave
Rounding out the collection and also regularly getting some time:
  • 1933 Duolian - set up for slide
  • 1963 Gibson B-25 - w/ '60s Dearmond PU & '61 Fender Princeton
  • 1967 Martin D-18S (12 fret) - original owner since HS graduation
Hoping I can learn to play (as soon as I figure out how to hold a flat pick):
  • 1930ish OS Stella Mandolin
That oughta give Reso1 a run for his money. Seriously, I feel incredibly lucky to be able to play these instruments and hope to be able to hang onto them in the coming years.

Slack, I'm lookin' forward to that Dodson L-0 (or L-1?).

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 06:11:07 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 07:18:17 PM »
Howdy:

Well, I can't match all these wonderfull old intruments.

My main guitar is a full sized, cutaway 14 fret Jumbo made in 2001 by Dennis Kwasnycia (Ontario). Indian rosewood back and sides, Sitka spruce top. (this is the one you played Frontpage).

I also own a 1984 rosewood dreadnaught made by David Wren (also Ontario).

In a lesser catagory I still own the first guitar I ever bought, a 1973 Norman? dreadnaught with a bolt on neck. I also I have an Alcivar wood Dobro I know nothing about as I got it from a former roomate in lieu of a month's rent years ago.

I have put photos of most of these in the Gallery section of Weenie Campbell.

Mind you just today I played a beautiful Taylor 30th Anniversery small bodied slot-head with lots of pearl inlay. Sounds wonderful and only (???) $4500 Cdn.

Slappin' my hands,
Alex

Edited to add (Dec. 20, 2004): Since I posted this I have acquired an 2003 Gibson reissue mahogany/spruce Robert Johnson signature model L-1 (new) and a 1929 Gibson all maple L-3 roundhole, small body archtop. Thick, strongly V-shaped neck.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 09:44:13 AM by pyrochlore »

Offline thumbstyle

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 01:28:14 AM »
Collings CJ custom (Gibson-style round-shoulder dreadnaught, mahogany, short scale)

Gibson J-45 reissue w/Highlander pickup

National Metal Body Bendaway prototype (single-cone, steel body, cutaway, Highlander pickup)

Phillips Parlor single-cone w/Highlander pickup

Phillips reso-mandolin

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 08:09:54 AM »
OK, I was holding back, I've also got a

Phillips Parlor single-cone w/Highlander pickup

Phillips single cone reso- Uke

Martin OM-18v

Gibson J-185

and other assorted misc instruments.

Offline jed

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 08:21:26 AM »
Temptation, temptation...

OK, most Weenies know my main super-acoustical guitars (Nat'l M3 w/spun auto body finish & the L-Jr), so we'll take a look down the wall at the guitar cases.  Inside one is a clear and warm-sounding '30s Gibson L-1, tuned in open D; perched next door is my new (for me) 1919 Cremona finish Army-Navy mandolin (tuned like a fiddle).  The one out on the guitar stand is a well-used 1959 Martin O-15 in open G, mostly for slack-key (hey, it's the same era!) and acoustifying the occasional electric instrumental.

FYI:  National Stringed Instruments is known to have created a single wood-topped Style 1, which may still be (semi-permanently) at a fine store in Montana, I think.  Pro-nuevo-steelmeister Bob Brozman played it in a record he shared with - oh, boy, the memory creaks - Jerry Douglas and David Grisman?

Also, there is a modern wood-body Style 1 type available from a French maker:  http://www.fineresophonic.com.  Stateside Weenies are advised not to visit this site on tax-refund day...

Cheers,
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 08:35:28 AM »
I can't keep up with you vintage freaks, it doesn't help being left-handed or living in the UK.
My main guitar is a NR Style O, used for anything and everything. Occasionally we use wood! - a Martin 0001R, and for amplified, a c. 1950 Silvertone archtop with a slimline pickup through a Champ or Musicmaster.
All this is soon due to change as I am waiting any day now for the word from Mike Lewis at Fineresophonic (qv Jed) that my new german silver triplate is ready from the platers and I can drive to Paris to collect it.

Offline Gordy

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004, 04:27:08 PM »
OK...this is fun, and it's about time I posted something on this forum.  These have all been making the trip to PT for years, so lots of Weenies have seen and/or played them:

1920 or so Maurer 531
1927 koa OS Sovereign
1930 National Triolian
1992 Martin OM-28

...and coming in a few days, or maybe a few weeks, a new Greven Prairie State.

Gordy

Offline eric

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 04:45:39 PM »
1960 or so Gibson Southern Jumbo.  Sometimes they call it a country and western.  Same one
I've had for 35 years.  I've been thinking about one more suited for fingerstyle for about the last 20 years, but still haven't got around to it.  I also have a small body steel string Yamaha I got for $50; I use it for slide.
--
Eric

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 05:27:40 PM »
OK...this is fun, and it's about time I posted something on this forum.

Welcome Gordy!

Offline OMpicker

• Up the river, Daddy's gonna do a stretch...
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2004, 05:58:42 PM »
My main guitar is a '28 00-40H; when I need those two extra frets, I have a much more recent OM-42.  I tried posting a pic of the 40H...but I'm not sure if I got it right.  Slack or someone please advise.  Thanks!
Dennis

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal