collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got a cigar box, I cut a hole in the top, put a board and nail it on there. And I taken four nails, put wire on 'em from a screen door for strings. I couldn't play it, but I rapped the sides, hootin' and hollerin'. I thought I was doin' something you know. - Furry Lewis recalls his first guitar

Author Topic: Robert Langmuir Photograph Collection  (Read 676 times)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Robert Langmuir Photograph Collection
« on: August 07, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
Saw this on another site and thought it would be enjoyed here.  It's the Robert Langmuir African American photograph collection.  I see that Frankie had posted an image from the collection regarding BW McTell, so here's the link to the site:
http://www.digitalgallery.emory.edu/luna/servlet/view/search?q=guitar&sort=box_number,identifier,date&os=0

BTW, I think the host could use some help in ID-ing some of the faces. ^-^

Tom

Offline oddenda

Re: Robert Langmuir Photograph Collection
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 12:34:54 AM »
Looks interesting, but unable to go past page 1!

pbl

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 03:02:13 AM »
Thanks Tom,

I had no problems with the website and could see all the photos.

BTW, I think the host could use some help in ID-ing some of the faces. ^-^

That's right. For starters Eugene Powell, BB King, Sonny Boy Williamson (2) Blind Boy Fuller and more.
It appears to have a second photo of the unknown blues photo I posted a while back listed as Blind Willie McTell but I'm 95 % sure it's not McTell.

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 06:05:01 AM »
Peter, it took me the longest time to figure out that you have to click on the thumbnails in the upper right to move forward. There should be three--the photo you're looking at will appear as the middle thumbnail, the next one will be to its right, just click on that. There may be another way, but that's the only method I've been able to suss out.

I'd love to know who these guys are: http://www.digitalgallery.emory.edu/luna/servlet/detail/emoryuniv~2~2~1843~559971?qvq=q%3Aguitar%3Bsort%3Abox_number%2Cidentifier%2Cdate%3Blc%3ACARLOS_VC~1~1%2CEMORYUL~3~3%2Cemoryuniv~2~2&mi=52&trs=171, and whether they left recordings behind. That instrumentation is intriguing--cello, mandolin and harp guitar? You see those things in guitar shops from time to time, but other than a couple of demonstration recordings, I don't think I've knowingly heard one played.

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 06:34:53 AM »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:47:37 AM by jpeters609 »
Jeff

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 06:40:56 AM »
Hi all,
The collection appears to have barely been curated thus far.  As a number of folks have noted, there are numerous photos of well-known musicians (Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry, Furry Lewis and many others) that have not yet been identified, and in several instances the photos were actually used for record covers.  It looks like the focus so far has been on acquisition of photos.
All best,
Johnm

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal