collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's a bad wind that never change - Blind Lemon Jefferson

Author Topic: FYI: The new Ry Cooder album is ready!!!  (Read 3827 times)

Offline rjtwangs

FYI: The new Ry Cooder album is ready!!!
« on: April 24, 2008, 06:37:49 AM »

"Ry Cooder Completes California Trilogy:

Ry Cooder completes his California trilogy (which began with 2005's Chavez Ravine followed by 2007's My Name is Buddy) with I, Flathead, an album of music by the fictional musician Kash Buk and his band the Klowns, characters in Cooder's 95-page novella. The album and novella will be released together on June 24 by Nonesuch/Perro Verde Records.

The novella tells the story of Kash Buk and his friend Shakey the alien, along with various friends, lovers, enemies, and associates in a bygone California filled with deserts, salt-flat racing, Native Americans, seedy dance halls, amusement parks, and sinister plots. The album features fourteen songs by Buk, a hard-boiled salt flat racer and roadhouse musician.

With the story and the music, Cooder creates a universe where "strange people are the norm," drawing from Country Western music, Popular Mechanics magazines, and science fiction films.

Following Chavez Ravine, which examined loss of place and history, and My Name Is Buddy, which explored the loss of solidarity and unity, I, Flathead reflects change and disruption in a young, post-war do-it-yourself culture of outsiders obsessed with racing cars fashioned from military surplus parts and flathead engines.

As Kash Buk explains, "You got your hard times, your good times, a dog story for you animal lovers, and a forbidden-race love song, which every record ought to have at least one of. You're going to meet the ghost of Dick Nixon the drag racer, plus a bonus Red-Scare speciality for all you politically-minded hi-brow foot-stompers out there. I felt it was important to include a circus story since most people agree the circus is a mirror for 'life itself.' And you can't say you got a record album unless there is a selection of honky-tonk heartache ballads, so I took care of the ballad chores for you." He continues, "And I spatially wanted to pay o-mage to the steel guitar legends of yore. It has been my privilege to know quite a few. That's a hard-bitten, un-sung fraternity, and I figured if I remember them, some body might remember me some day and raise a glass some where and put a nickel in the juke-box."

Cooder produced the album and wrote or co-wrote all the songs. He sings and plays mandolin, guitar, and bass on the album, along with Mariachi Los Camperos; Joachim Cooder and Jim Keltner on drums; Rene Camacho on bass; Francisco Torres on trombone; Ron Blake and Jon Hassell on trumpet; Anthony Gil on bass sax; Flaco Jimenez on accordion, Gil Bernal on tenor sax; Jared Smith on keyboards; Martin Pradler on electric piano and drums; and Juliette Commagere on vocals."

RJ

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: FYI: The new Ry Cooder album is ready!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »
This is truly great news for all us cooderphiles, thanks rjt...  8)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:18:04 PM »
I just picked up the new Cooder album Election Special. I'm enjoying it a lot, it's the usual crazy Ryland, great tone and electric and acoustic genres all across the map.

I'm glad he seems to have got his sense of humor back, and his voice. The production is far and away the best of the recent albums. There are a lot of throwbacks to the glory days style of early albums like 'Boomers', 'Chicken Skin', 'Paradise' and 'Purple Valley' musically, particularly the mando playing on some tracks.

Fans of Mitt and lame attempts at bipartisan political discourse, or who believe musicians should not indulge in political comment, might want to give it a very wide swerve, and don't say I didn't warn you. Me, I love it! :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:19:43 PM by Rivers »

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »

Tags: Ry Cooder 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal