collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Bluegrass sounds better than it is. Old-time is better than it sounds - Frank Basile, on how to distinguish Oldtime music from Bluegrass

Author Topic: holy crail  (Read 1319 times)

Offline hortig78rpm

holy crail
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:38:19 PM »
have a look ( and an ear) to ebay nr. 300581189145. described as delta blues it more sounds of a carolina man

regards
mike

Offline JohnLeePimp

Re: holy crail
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:09:19 AM »
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline jostber

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:17:21 AM »
Quite highly price ain't it, especially when the artist and rarity of the record is not identified? Maybe John Tefteller should have a look at this?

http://www.tefteller.com/

Offline LD50

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 09:12:54 AM »
Quite highly priced ain't it, especially when the artist and rarity of the record is not identified? Maybe John Tefteller should have a look at this?

http://www.tefteller.com/

Yeah, it occurred to me that Tefteller will probably snap it up, and put it on the CD with his 2013 calendar.  ;)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »
Hi all,
That record is definitely of Guitar Slim (Alec Seward) and Jelly Belly (Louis Hayes).  Alec Seward is singing on the first track and Louis Hayes is singing on the second.  Alec Seward was originally from Virginia and Hayes from South Carolina, so the East Coast Piedmont assessments of the music's origins are right on.  The speed of the recording is compromised, too--it is slow for sure, based on what it did to the sound of the voices.  This duo has a CD re-issued on Arhoolie and another which is mostly their music on Delmark.  I love the music these guys did, but it is certainly not Delta Blues in any way, and I don't reckon most fans of Country Blues would consider it a Holy Grail.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »
Great minds dement alike JohnM. The first thing that popped into my head prior to reading your post was Alex Seward! We're both grads of School of mid sixties Prestige, I guess.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline oddenda

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »
I'd say that John is correct - sounds like one is playing a twelve-string, too. Hardly "delta"!! They recorded a huge amount of material in the 40s.

pbl

Offline LD50

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:23:43 AM »
I'd say that John is correct - sounds like one is playing a twelve-string, too. Hardly "delta"!! They recorded a huge amount of material in the 40s.

pbl

Judging from comments on YouTube and Amazon, the term 'delta blues' seems to have acquired a new meaning among the not-very-knowledgeable, something like 'rural-sounding guitar blues'. I've seen Willie McTell described as 'delta blues'.  ::)

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »
same thing happened to "bluegrass" ten or so years ago after the "O Brother" movie captured the minds (so to speak) of popculturists.
Remember when bluegrass used to be a very specific musical style?
best,
bruce

Offline CF

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »
Yes, definitely sounds like Alec Seward to me for sure.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal