collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Kiss me dear till I feel the string, make me want to shake that thing. Give me everything and how - if you are man, then show it now - Mary Dixon, Papa You Got Everything

Author Topic: Blind Willie McTell - Cohn DeSilva box set  (Read 3027 times)

Offline outfidel

Blind Willie McTell - Cohn DeSilva box set
« on: January 29, 2007, 07:53:10 AM »

now scheduled for Summer 2007 release
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Blind Willie McTell - Cohn DeSilva box set
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »
Last I heard, the reasons for the long delays on this project partly involved the discovery of some additional records/recordings. I don't know whether they are alternate takes or new material or better copies or what. Anyone know any more?

Offline zoner

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:02:40 AM »
Can't wait for this one!!!!!!!

Offline mr mando

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 02:41:02 AM »
Hasn't summer arrived yet???

mississippijohnhurt1928

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 10:29:29 AM »
There's a moderator on The Blindman's Blues Forum who has had the set on reserve for months and months and gets no updates but Cohn's company "finds time to spam him" via E-Mail.

He finally, after months of deliberation and "arguing" he received a full refund.

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 05:10:49 AM »
The CD that accompanies John Tefteller's new calendar has  a pair of previously unreleased Blind Willie McTell & Mary Willis numbers. They are "Talkin' To You Wimmen About The Blues" and "Merciful Blues." These are excellent performances in superb sound.

To quote Tefteller: "the record you see in the center of this page [Talkin' To You Wimmen About The Blues] apparently has not been heard by anyone since its release back in the late fall of 1931. I have had this record in my collection for almost ten years. I had no idea that it was potentially a one-of-a-kind record! ...Late last year, legendary Blues reissue producer Larry Cohn called me about his upcoming Blind Willie McTell box set. He told me he would like to borrow certain records from my collection ...I sent him a list of what I had. To my amazement , he called immediately with the comment, "I've never heard the Mary Willis record!" Apparently, there is no master in the Columbia vaults. Cohn is aware of no other copy of the record anywhere. Finding this hard to believe, I started calling "all the usual suspects" and sure enough, none of them had the record or had ever heard it."

-Jeff H.

Offline CF

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:44:19 AM »
These two songs are on the 2008 Weenie calendar CD . . .
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 09:31:52 AM »
Just to clarify, Weenie just sells the Blues Images Calendar, referred to as  "John Tefteller's new calendar" by Jeff H, and it has no other connection to Weenie Campbell other than being about Country Blues, of course.

That's pretty interesting that John didn't know the gem he had on his shelves, Jeff.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline CF

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 10:34:21 AM »
Ah, thanks for that Wax & sorry to John & etc . . . will be buying this soon . . .

HankChinaski

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
I assume the Library of Congress Recordings are public domain.  I wonder what has prevented some enterprising person ('JSP'?) from having a copy made of the entire unedited recording and releasing the same to the public.  As for the last session tapes, I have no idea why this has never been restored, either.

Offline CF

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 05:27:52 AM »
JSP does have the LOC recordings on a box set, 1927-1940 . . . but I have no idea if they are edited or not . . . hope not

HankChinaski

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »
The Gray book states that the LOC recordings that are commercially available were edited by a clerk at the same, so that the recordings would come in just under 60 minutes.  The reason that she did this was to prevent having to charge the requesting party for more than one cassette tape.  I think the JSP recording is simply a rerecording of other record label's materials. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal